SafeHome.org helps shoppers compare home security companies for important differences. Our reviews can help you decide which (if any) of the top companies is best for your needs. See the video below for an intro to what we do. Below are links to our security company comparisons.
Compare Home Security Costs & Prices
In order to determine which home security system is right for you, you will need to find one that fits your particular needs and budget. You can start by learning what you should be looking for when it comes to the related costs of a home security system and their individual pricing structures.
First, you will need to decide whether you want a hardwired home security system, which ranges between $700 – $1,800; or a wireless home security system, which has a pretty wide price range of $50 – $1,800. Or, if you would prefer, a DIY wireless home security system, which ranges between $95 – $1,000.
Basic home security equipment generally consists of a control panel, a few door and window sensors, motion detectors, sirens, and keychain fobs. The cost of a basic system averages about $595. However, this price goes up as you add additional security and home automation features to it.
- Additional sensors (door, window, glass break) are $10 – $70
- Extra keychain fobs are $25
- Motion, fire, smoke, CO2 detectors are $25 – $60
- Closed circuit TV or IP cameras are $99 – $325
- Panic buttons are $30 – $35 each
- Home automation upgrades (remotely controlled lights, thermostat, door locks, garage door, etc.) are $25 – $325
The installation costs of installing a home security system range from about $125 – $650. What you pay for the installation will depend on the layout of your home, the system you choose, and how difficult and/or extensive that system is to install. Also, any additional components you add to your system will increase the basic install price.
For example, your security system will probably only come with two to three window and door sensors, which means if you need more, it could add an additional $35 or so for each extra sensor installed. Then if you add on home automation features, you're looking at even more additional costs.
Once you've decided on the type of equipment you want to be installed, you will then need to decide whether you want your new system monitored or not.
A monitored security system is just that “monitored” 24 hours a day by a trained professional at a security company monitoring center who will alert the proper authorities if an incident is detected. The cost of a monitored security system will run you anywhere from $9 – $60 per month. And the activation fees are anywhere from $0 – $225, but make sure you read the fine print before you sign anything.
Compare Home Security Reviews
There are several ways you can go about comparing home security reviews. You can start by checking the security company's Better Business Bureau rating. Another great way to compare reviews is to us our side-by-side home security company review feature.
These types of reviews are unbiased, offer side-by-side comparisons along with pros and cons and other content. They will also include price ranges, packages, and optional feature costs as well. Using a home security review site will keep you from hours of back and forth searching around the internet because they have already done the legwork for you then presented that information in summary style content that's all in one place and viewable in an easy to read and use format.
Summaries of Comparison Reviews
For starters we compare home security companies that people ask about most. Follow links to compare popular DIY alarm companies, pro-installed alarms, cheap home security and high-end protection.
- Abode vs Arlo – How does Abode stand up to home security camera system Arlo? Find out in our comparison.
- Abode vs LiveWatch – Finding an affordable home security system is important. See how these two low cost DIY systems compare to each other.
- Abode vs Scout – See how Abode stands up to rival DIY home security system, Scout.
- Abode vs SimpliSafe – Read our review about these two DIY powerhouses and find out which one offers the best bang for your buck.
- Ackerman Security vs ADT – Find out if Ackerman Security stands up to home security giant, ADT.
- ADT vs Ackerman Security – Is ADT comparable to Ackerman Security? Find out in our detailed comparison.
- ADT vs AT&T Digital Life – How does ADT home security compare to telecommunications giant AT&T? Find out in our detailed comparison.
- ADT vs Bay Alarm – See how ADT's national presence compares to west coast competitor, Bay Alarm.
- ADT vs CPI Security – Read about how national home security company ADT compares to the smaller, regional home security company of CPI Security.
- ADT vs Cox Homelife – Check out our home security system comparison between ADT and multimedia giant, Cox.
- ADT vs Frontpoint – Compare between a professionally installed system and DIY home security.
- ADT vs Guardian – Is ADT a better security system than Guardian Protection Services? Find out in our detailed comparison of these home security systems.
- ADT vs LifeShield – Read our home security comparison between ADT and LifeShield and see which one came out on top.
- ADT vs Nest – See how ADT compares to an up and coming home security system best known for it's smart thermostat.
- ADT vs Protect America – Find out how a pro-installed home security system stacks up to a an economical one.
- ADT vs Protection One – Surprisingly, both of these security systems are owned by ADT, so which is best? Find out in our head-to-head comparison.
- ADT vs Ring – Do a comparison of the largest home security provider and a video doorbell company that lets you answer the door from anywhere with your smartphone.
- ADT vs SimpliSafe – Choose between a pro-installed system and an inexpensive DIY home security system
- ADT vs Slomin's – How does ADT's service compare to Slomin's? Find out in our detailed home security comparison.
- ADT vs Smith Thompson – Does ADT match up with this Texas home security company? Find out in our comparison.
- ADT vs Vector Security – Check out who comes out on top when we compare ADT to regional competitor, Vector Security.
- ADT vs Vivint – Both ADT and Vivint have advanced features for similar prices. See which one you prefer.
- ADT vs LiveWatch – Compare a professionally installed home security system from one of the most reputable names in the industry to one of the more affordable DIY systems on the market.
- ADT vs Xfinity – See how ADT's home security system fares when compared to a dominant ISP's home security feature.
- Alarm.com vs Vivint – How does Alarm.com match up against Vivint? Find out in our comparison.
- Arlo vs Abode – Find out if Arlo's camera system competes with Abode's DIY security system in our in-depth comparison.
- Arlo vs Blink – It's a battle between Netgear owned Arlo and Amazon owned Blink. Which home security camera takes the top spot?
- Arlo vs Nest – See how these two well-known home security camera systems compare to each other.
- Arlo vs SimpliSafe – Compare Arlo's extensive line of home security cameras to SimpliSafe's easy DIY home security system.
- Arlo vs Vivint – Two fully wireless systems going head-to-head. One is a DIY solution while another requires professional installation.
AT&T Digital Life
- AT&T Digital Life vs ADT – Find out how AT&T's home security offering compares to home security giant ADT.
- AT&T Digital Life vs Frontpoint – How does AT&T's full home security solution compare to the DIY offering of Frontpoint? Find out in our comprehensive comparison of the two.
- Bay Alarm vs ADT – Those living on the west coast who have researched home security systems may have considered both Bay Alarm and ADT. See how these two compare when we put them head-to-head.
- Blink vs Arlo – See how this Amazon home security camera system competes with reputable camera security company, Arlo.
- Blink vs SimpliSafe – How does the camera centric Blink security system stand up to SimpliSafe's DIY system? Find out in our comparison.
- Cox Homelife vs ADT – Does Cox's home security offering stand up to ADT? Find out by reading our comparison.
- CPI Security vs API – How does this regional home security company compare to a national power house? Read our CPI Security vs API comparison to find out.
- Fortress Security vs SimpliSafe – See how these two DIY systems match up to each other in our in-depth comparison.
- Frontpoint vs ADT – Choose between do-it-yourself home security and a professionally installed system.
- Frontpoint vs AT&T Digital Life – Does Frontpoint's DIY offering stand up to ISP giant AT&T's home security solution? Find out in our home security comparison.
- Frontpoint vs Link Interactive – Choose from two different DIY home security options.
- Frontpoint vs LiveWatch – Frontpoint and LiveWatch systems are home security made easy. See how we compare the two.
- Frontpoint vs Protect America – How does Frontpoint stand up to rival Protect America? Check out our comparison to find out.
- Frontpoint vs Nest – Find out how Frontpoint's home security offering compares to Google's up and coming security system, Nest.
- Frontpoint vs SimpliSafe – Both Frontpoint and SimpliSafe have do-it-yourself options with their own unique features. See what one you like better.
- Frontpoint vs Vivint – Compare Frontpoint who is a pretty advanced company with the best customer service and Vivint who has the most advanced smart home gadgets.
- Frontpoint vs Xfinity – See how Frontpoint's DIY home security system compares to Comcast's Xfinity.
- Guardian vs ADT – How does Guardian Protection Services stand up to ADT? Find out in our comprehensive comparison.
- Guardian vs Protect America – Professional installation or DIY installation? It's the age old question when it comes to home security. Read our Guardian vs Protect America comparison to find out which system is right for you.
- iSmartAlarm vs SimpliSafe – See how these two DIY home security systems compare to each other in our head-to-head comparison.
- LifeShield vs ADT – See how LifeShield stands up to the brand presence and reputation of ADT.
- LifeShield vs Protect America – How does LifeShield compare to one of it's biggest DIY home security rivals? Find out in our in-depth comparison.
- Link Interactive vs Frontpoint – Choose from two different DIY home security options.
- Link Interactive vs SimpliSafe – Compare two budget DIY home security options.
- Link Interactive vs LiveWatch – Both Link Interactive and LiveWatch have similar features. See which one fits you better.
- Link Interactive vs Protect America – See how Link Interactive compares to DIY home security competitor, Protect America.
- Link Interactive vs Vivint – Choose from an affordable do-it-yourself option to an advanced home security and automation solution.
- LiveWatch vs Abode – Check out how these two do-it-yourself home security systems matched up when we did an in-depth comparison.
- LiveWatch vs Frontpoint – Compare two systems that make home security easy and find out what suites you better.
- LiveWatch vs Link Interactive – Take a look at and compare two home security options that have quite a few similarities.
- LiveWatch vs Protect America– Keeping your home safe while having an easy to use and low cost security system is possible. Find out if LiveWatch or Protect America best suits your needs.
- LiveWatch vs ADT – Check out the pros and cons of owning a simple to set up DIY system versus a professionally installed system
- LiveWatch vs SimpliSafe – See which of these two affordable, DIY home security systems comes out on top in our matchup.
- LiveWatch vs Vivint – Read how this simple DIY home security system compares to one of the more sophisticated home security systems on the market.
- Nest vs ADT – Does Nest stand a chance against home security giant ADT? Check out our in-depth comparison between the two home security systems.
- Nest vs Arlo – See how Google's growing home security business compares to Netgear owned Arlo.
- Nest vs Frontpoint – Does Nest stand a chance when compared to Frontpoint? See in our comprehensive comparison.
- Nest vs Ring – Its a battle of the DIY home security giants as we pit Google's Nest against Amazon's Ring. Who comes out on top?
- Nest vs SimpliSafe – Not only known for it's smart thermostat, but also a contender in the DIY home security market. See how Nest compares to a reputable rival, SimpliSafe.
- Nest vs Vivint – See how this Google owned company compares to a huge player in the home security industry.
- Protect America vs Vivint – Choose between an economical home security option alongside one with advanced features.
- Protect America vs ADT – Find out how a budget home security system compares to a pro-installed system.
- Protect America vs Frontpoint – Which of these DIY home security systems is the best? Find out in our comparison.
- Protect America vs Guardian – Check out the major differences between the ease of use found in Protect America systems and the full security features found in Guardian Protection Services.
- Protect America vs LifeShield – Find out which DIY system took the crown when we compared Protect America to LifeShield.
- Protect America vs Link Interactive – Who has the best DIY home security system? Start you research by reading our Protect America and Link Interactive comparion.
- Protect America vs LiveWatch – Ease of use and safety are important features of any security system. Both Protect America and LiveWatch meet those criteria. See which one is the best.
- Protect America vs Protection One – See how Protect America's out of the box system compares to a feature filled, ADT owned home security system.
- Protect America vs SimpliSafe – Take a look at these two DIY home security systems and they go head-to-head in our comparison review.
- Protect America vs Xfinity – Is the simplicity of Protect America ideal? Or are the features of Xfinity the way to go? Read our comparison to find out which system is right for you.
- Protection One vs ADT – Find out how this security system, which is a division of ADT, compares to it's parent company.
- Protection One vs Protect America – See how this ADT owned company compares to a well known DIY home security system.
- Ring vs ADT – Read about the differences between Ring and ADT as well as how they work with each other.
- Ring vs Nest – Check out who came out on top when we compared Amazon owned Ring to Google owned Nest.
- Ring vs SimpliSafe – Compare the video doorbell giant to SimpliSafe, a well respected company in the DIY home security market.
- Ring vs Skybell – Find out how Ring matches up with it's biggest competitor in the doorbell camera market, Skybell.
- Ring vs Vivint – See how Ring compares with Vivint's full line of home security products and services.
- Scout vs Abode – Looking for a home security system that works straight out of the box and is easy to install? If so, Scout or Abode may be the system you need.
- Scout vs SimpliSafe – See how a new low-priced competitor stacks up to a cheap & well-established security company.
- SimpliSafe vs Abode – See which of these two DIY home security systems takes the cake when we put them head-to-head.
- SimpliSafe vs ADT – Compare cheap DIY home security with a pro-installed alarm system.
- SimpliSafe vs Arlo – Take a look at two do-it-yourself systems that have some positives as well as some drawbacks.
- SimpliSafe vs Blink – Find out who comes out on top as we compare SimpliSafe to Amazon owned Blink.
- SimpliSafe vs Fortress Security – Is SimpliSafe better than Fortress Security? Find out in our comparison of the two systems.
- SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint – See the benefits of low-priced home security and a mid-priced, higher-tech option.
- SimpliSafe vs iSmartAlarm – Check out our comparison of SimpliSafe to the highly customizable iSmartAlarm system.
- SimpliSafe vs Link Interactive – Look at two different cheaper do-it-yourself home security options.
- SimpliSafe vs LiveWatch – It's a battle as old as time. Which of these two well known companies is the dominant DIY home security system?
- SimpliSafe vs Nest – Compare a cheaper do-it-yourself home security option with a new sleek up-and-comer.
- SimpliSafe vs Protect America – Read into the specifics that distinguish these two highly reputable DIY home security systems.
- SimpliSafe vs Ring – Find out how an affordable home security system and a video doorbell company compare to each other.
- SimpliSafe vs Scout – See how a cheap & well-established security company compares with a new low-priced competitor.
- SimpliSafe vs Vivint – Choose between a budget-friendly option alongside an advanced system that can offer all the bells-and-whistles.
- Skybell vs Ring – See how these leaders in the doorbell camera market match up to each other in our in-depth comparison.
- Slomin's vs ADT – Find out how this regional home security company stands up to the largest, nationwide competitor.
- SmartThings vs Vivint – Samsung's smart home and home automation technology make it a legitimate competitor in the home security market. See how they do when they are compared with Vivint.
- Smith Thompson vs ADT – See how this Texas area home security company stands up to nation wide competitor, ADT.
- Vector Security vs ADT – See how Vector Security compares to national home security competitor, ADT.
- Vivint vs ADT – Make a close call in home security. Vivint and ADT offer advanced features (video & home automation) at similar prices.
- Vivint vs Alarm.com – See how Vivint compares to Alarm.com in our in-depth, home security comparison.
- Vivint vs Arlo – One of these solutions is DIY while the another requires professional installation. See how they match up head-to-head.
- Vivint vs Frontpoint – Choose between the most advanced smart home gadgets and a pretty advanced company with the best customer service.
- Vivint vs Link Interactive – Compare a high-end system with an affordable DIY home security solution.
- Vivint vs LiveWatch – Read about how Vivint compares to a simpler, DIY home security system.
- Vivint vs Nest – See how Vivint compares to Google's entry into the home security market.
- Vivint vs Protect America – Find out how a technology rich system compares with an affordable home security option.
- Vivint vs Ring – This dominant force in the home security market has a new competitor. See how the easy to use Ring matches up against a full line of home security solutions.
- Vivint vs SimpliSafe – Take a look at how an advanced home security and automation company compares with a cheaper DIY option.
- Vivint vs SmartThings – Home automation is changing the way we live. See how Vivint's complete line of home automation and security products matches up with SmartThings.
- Xfinity vs ADT – Two giants battle it out for best home security system on the market. See how a media juggernaut compares to a long standing name in home security.
- Xfinity vs Frontpoint – How does Xfinity compare to DIY competitor Frontpoint? Find out in our home security review.
- Xfinity vs Protect America – See how Comcast's home security system compares to a simple, DIY home security system.
More Home Security Reviews
Our to-do list for home security comparisons has 37 requests! Visit again soon for new home security reviews. If you'd like a specific comparison, please let us know here.
Also see our individual home security reviews. The sorter on our homepage can speed up your search. Find the best home security companies for renters, homeowners, pet owners, DIY enthusiasts and more.
Compare Home Security Warranties
When researching the warranties that come with a home security system, make sure you read the fine print for the ones that say they come with a lifetime warranty or money back guarantee. Watch out for things like warranty limitations, additional charges, or misleading coverage verbiage.
Most warranties generally cover the equipment if issues arise due to any manufacturer defects. The average warranty coverage terms usually range somewhere between 30-90 days after the initial purchase, unless you also bought an extended warranty, then the term's and coverage's will vary depending on the policy you purchased.
Here are some things you should also look for in an equipment warranty, depending on the system you decide to buy.
- Extended warranty. This will provide you with repairs and equipment replacements if your system breaks due to manufacturer defects.
- Free security system inspections. These should entitle you to periodic inspections (usually about every two years or so) to make sure your equipment is working properly.
- Free battery replacements. This should cover the cost of replacing the batteries in your system. It should also cover the labor costs and trip charges as well.
- Free system moves. This service includes moving your security system to your new home free of charge.
Obviously, the aforementioned warranty features will vary in importance, and might not even be applicable at all, depending on which type of security system you ultimately purchase.
Compare Home Security Features
Every home security system will have its own set of options; however, there are some basic features most systems will include once you decide to go with either a wired or wireless system.
- Tamper-sensitive control panels
- High-decibel alarms
- Window and door sensors
- Pet-friendly motion detectors
- Keychain remote controls
- Mobile apps for controlling your system remotely
- Glass break sensors
- Panic buttons
- Indoor and/or outdoor cameras
- Home automation features
- Medical alert equipment
Optional advanced system upgrades:
- Smoke and carbon monoxide sensors
- Water leak sensors
- Heat detectors
- Biometric voice controls
When researching home security features, opt for one that comes with the basics. Then you can add the other features you want based on your particular needs. Or better yet, find a company who offers a package deal if you upgrade to one of their advanced feature options.
Compare Home Automation
Home automation features are becoming more and more popular. Here are some of the most common features included with just about any home automation package.
- Mobile apps that combine two-way wireless communication features.
- Remote control options for your lights, blinds, thermostat, small appliances, door locks, garage door, and of course, arm and disarm your security system.
- Camera monitoring from any app-enabled device, as well as video recording storage options.
Some advanced home automation features also include voice controls at the tap of a button.
Compare Home Security Cameras
Video cameras are at the heart of any home security system. Most systems now offer live streaming video surveillance via a mobile app. Look for a system that offers high-resolution cameras with minimal light, powerful night vision, and flexible viewing and recording features.
The most common home security cameras include:
- Dome Cameras. Offer a full 360-degree view so just one camera can monitor an entire area.
- Bullet Cameras. These are small cameras shaped like a bullet and typically have a fixed lens. They are available in indoor and outdoor models and some of them come with infrared capability.
- Fixed Lens Cameras. Allow you to focus on a specific area and offer the highest quality video images.
- Remote Pan, Tilt, Zoom Cameras. These cameras can pan left or right and zoom in and out to view more image details. They also have a wider viewing angle which means you will get better quality images.
In addition to the above, outdoor cameras might also come with other options such as infrared night vision, motion detection, and wireless connectivity.
Motion Detection Cameras
Motion detection cameras are the combination of a motion detector and a camera. These cameras wait for motion before they begin to record. A motion detection camera will save on video storage space and alert you immediately when activity is detected.
Compare Home Security Availability
The best way to determine the availability of any given home security system is to contact a few of the security companies you've researched and compared, or visit their websites, so you can finalize the details and costs regarding your specific security system wants and needs.
Contacting a professional will provide you with the confirming information you need to make an educated decision about which features, packages, and options will best suit your particular situation.
Is There Home Security Near Me?
There are several ways you can go about finding a home security company near you. Alternatively, you can also purchase your system online, especially if you're buying a DIY or wireless option.
If you want a local home security company, you can simply Google “find a home security company near me” and Google will find the companies that are near. However, doing this is sometimes like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
It's much quicker and easier to use the home security research site you were using to gather your preliminary data about security systems, their functions, options, packages, and costs. These dedicated research sites (at least the good ones) will provide you with a tool where you can enter your particular security system wants and needs and answer a few short questions. They will then show you exactly which security company has what you need and can afford.