Compare Home Security Costs & Prices
In order to determine which home security system is right for you, you will need to find one that fits your particular needs and budget. You can start by learning what you should be looking for when it comes to the related costs of a home security system and their individual pricing structures.
First, you will need to decide whether you want a hardwired home security system, which ranges between $700 – $1,800; or a wireless home security system, which has a pretty wide price range of $50 – $1,800. Or, if you would prefer, a DIY wireless home security system, which ranges between $95 – $1,000.
Basic home security equipment generally consists of a control panel, a few door and window sensors, motion detectors, sirens, and keychain fobs. The cost of a basic system averages about $595. However, this price goes up as you add additional security and home automation features to it.
- Additional sensors (door, window, glass break) are $10 – $70
- Extra keychain fobs are $25
- Motion, fire, smoke, CO2 detectors are $25 – $60
- Closed circuit TV or IP cameras are $99 – $325
- Panic buttons are $30 – $35 each
- Home automation upgrades (remotely controlled lights, thermostat, door locks, garage door, etc.) are $25 – $325
The installation costs of installing a home security system range from about $125 – $650. What you pay for the installation will depend on the layout of your home, the system you choose, and how difficult and/or extensive that system is to install. Also, any additional components you add to your system will increase the basic install price.
For example, your security system will probably only come with two to three window and door sensors, which means if you need more, it could add an additional $35 or so for each extra sensor installed. Then if you add on home automation features, you're looking at even more additional costs.
Once you've decided on the type of equipment you want to be installed, you will then need to decide whether you want your new system monitored or not.
A monitored security system is just that “monitored” 24 hours a day by a trained professional at a security company monitoring center who will alert the proper authorities if an incident is detected. The cost of a monitored security system will run you anywhere from $9 – $60 per month. And the activation fees are anywhere from $0 – $225, but make sure you read the fine print before you sign anything.
Compare Home Security Reviews
There are several ways you can go about comparing home security reviews. You can start by checking the security company's Better Business Bureau rating. Another great way to compare reviews is to use our side-by-side home security company review feature.
These types of reviews are unbiased, offer side-by-side comparisons along with pros and cons and other content. They will also include price ranges, packages, and optional feature costs as well. Using a home security review site will keep you from hours of back and forth searching around the internet because they have already done the legwork for you then presented that information in summary style content that's all in one place and viewable in an easy to read and use format.
Summaries of Comparison Reviews
For starters we compare home security companies that people ask about most. Follow links to compare popular DIY alarm companies, pro-installed alarms, cheap home security and high-end protection.
- Abode vs Arlo – How does Abode stand up to home security camera system Arlo? Find out in our comparison.
- Abode vs Ring – How does Abode compare to the well known Ring brand name? Find out in our comparison.
- Abode vs SimpliSafe – Read our review about these two DIY powerhouses and find out which one offers the best bang for your buck.
- Ackerman Security vs ADT – Find out if Ackerman Security stands up to home security giant, ADT.
- ADT vs Ackerman Security – Is ADT comparable to Ackerman Security? Find out in our detailed comparison.
- ADT vs Alarm.com – Find out how ADT compares to the monitoring services offered by Alarm.com in our comprehensive comparison.
- ADT vs Bay Alarm – See how ADT's national presence compares to west coast competitor, Bay Alarm.
- ADT vs Brinks – This battle is as old as time. See who takes the top spot between these two well recognized home security brand names.
- ADT vs CPI Security – Read about how national home security company ADT compares to the smaller, regional home security company of CPI Security.
- ADT vs Cox Homelife – Check out our home security system comparison between ADT and multimedia giant, Cox.
- ADT vs Guardian – Is ADT a better security system than Guardian Protection Services? Find out in our detailed comparison of these home security systems.
- ADT vs Honeywell – ADT or Honeywell? We picked the best home security system in our comparison.
- ADT vs Nest – See how ADT compares to an up and coming home security system best known for it's smart thermostat.
- ADT vs Ring – Do a comparison of the largest home security provider and a video doorbell company that lets you answer the door from anywhere with your smartphone.
- ADT vs SafeTouch – Our experts put the gold-standard ADT against the regional powerhouse SafeTouch. See how they stack up in our comparison.
- ADT vs SimpliSafe – Choose between a pro-installed system and an inexpensive DIY home security system.
- ADT vs Slomin's – How does ADT's service compare to Slomin's? Find out in our detailed home security comparison.
- ADT vs Smith Thompson – Does ADT match up with this Texas home security company? Find out in our comparison.
- ADT vs Vector Security – Check out who comes out on top when we compare ADT to regional competitor, Vector Security.
- ADT vs Vivint – Both ADT and Vivint have advanced features for similar prices. See which one you prefer.
- ADT vs Xfinity – See how ADT's home security system fares when compared to a dominant ISP's home security feature.
- ADT vs DIY Home Security – Are you wondering how ADT compares to DIY home security systems in general? If so, check out the similarities and differences in our detailed comparison.
- Alarm.com vs ADT – Does Alarm.com stand a chance against home security giant, ADT? Check out our comparison to find out.
- Armorax vs Frontpoint – Is Armorax better than Frontpoint. Read our comparison of the two systems to find out.
- Arlo vs Abode – Find out if Arlo's camera system competes with Abode's DIY security system in our in-depth comparison.
- Arlo vs Blink – It's a battle between Netgear owned Arlo and Amazon owned Blink. Which home security camera takes the top spot?
- Arlo vs Lorex – Is Arlo comparable to a Lorex security camera? See the differences and similarities in our analysis of the two.
- Arlo vs Nest – See how these two well-known home security camera systems compare to each other.
- Arlo vs Reolink – See which of these two well-known home security camera companies took the top spot in our comparison.
- Arlo vs Ring – Does Arlo's home security camera system compare to Ring and their lineup of home security products? Find out in our analysis.
- Arlo vs SimpliSafe – Compare Arlo's extensive line of home security cameras to SimpliSafe's easy DIY home security system.
- Arlo vs Swann – Is Arlo as good as Swann's professional grade cameras? Our in-depth analysis has the answer.
- Arlo Pro vs Arlo Pro 2 – Find out how the features and tech of Arlo Pro stack up against its big brother the Arlo Pro 2. Our experts break it down right here.
- Bay Alarm vs ADT – Those living on the west coast who have researched home security systems may have considered both Bay Alarm and ADT. See how these two compare when we put them head-to-head.
- Blink vs Arlo – See how this Amazon home security camera system competes with reputable camera security company, Arlo.
- Blink vs Ring – See how these two Amazon owned companies compare to each other.
- Blink vs SimpliSafe – How does the camera centric Blink security system stand up to SimpliSafe's DIY system? Find out in our comparison.
Brinks Home Security
- Brinks vs ADT – Brinks is back and is ready to take on home security giant, ADT. See how they compare in our comprehensive review.
- Brinks vs SimpliSafe – It is a battle of DIY home security systems. See how Brinks compares to SimpliSafe.
- Brinks vs Vivint – Brinks has returned and they are making waves in the home security market. See how they compete with the professional security and home automation offering of Vivint.
- Cox Homelife vs ADT – Does Cox's home security offering stand up to ADT? Find out by reading our comparison.
- CPI Security vs ADT – How does this regional home security company compare to a national power house? Read our CPI Security vs ADT comparison to find out.
- CPI Security vs SimpliSafe – See which company came out on top when we compared CPI Security to SimpliSafe.
- Frontpoint vs Armorax – See how Frontpoint compares to up and coming Armorax.
- Frontpoint vs Ring – Is a professionally monitored system, such as Frontpoint, more ideal? Or is a DIY security system, such as Ring, the best option? Read our review to find the best option.
- Frontpoint vs SimpliSafe – Both Frontpoint and SimpliSafe have do-it-yourself options with their own unique features. See what one you like better.
- Guardian vs ADT – How does Guardian Protection Services stand up to ADT? Find out in our comprehensive comparison.
- Honeywell vs ADT – Can Honeywell stand up to the presence of ADT? Check out our comparison of the two and see which system we picked as our favorite.
- Link Interactive vs SimpliSafe – Compare two budget DIY home security options.
- LiveWatch vs Protect America– Keeping your home safe while having an easy to use and low cost security system is possible. Find out if LiveWatch or Protect America best suits your needs.
- Lorex vs Arlo – Is Lorex as good or better than Arlo? Or is it not as good? Read our comparison of these companies to find out.
- Lorex vs Reolink – Our experts compared these two high-quality, feature-rich camera systems. See which one came out on top.
- Lorex vs Amcrest – Which of these two high-tech security camera systems is best? We compared them side-by-side, find out here.
- Lorex vs Night Owl – Looking for a fully-customizable security camera system? Our experts compared Lorex and Night Owl. See which gets our pick.
- Nest vs ADT – Does Nest stand a chance against home security giant ADT? Check out our in-depth comparison between the two home security systems.
- Nest vs Arlo – See how Google's growing home security business compares to Netgear owned Arlo.
- Nest vs Ring – Its a battle of the DIY home security giants as we pit Google's Nest against Amazon's Ring. Who comes out on top?
- Nest vs SimpliSafe – Not only known for it's smart thermostat, but also a contender in the DIY home security market. See how Nest compares to a reputable rival, SimpliSafe.
- Nest vs Vivint – See how this Google owned company compares to a huge player in the home security industry.
- Protect America vs LiveWatch – Ease of use and safety are important features of any security system. Both Protect America and LiveWatch meet those criteria. See which one is the best.
- Protect America vs Protection One – See how Protect America's out of the box system compares to a feature filled, ADT owned home security system.
- Protect America vs SimpliSafe – Take a look at these two DIY home security systems and they go head-to-head in our comparison review.
- Protection One vs Protect America – See how this ADT owned company compares to a well known DIY home security system.
- Ring vs Abode – Does Ring compare to Abode? Check out our comparison to find out.
- Ring vs ADT – Read about the differences between Ring and ADT as well as how they work with each other.
- Ring vs Arlo – Does Ring or Arlo offer the best home security camera products? Find out in our comparison of the two.
- Ring vs Blink – See how similar Ring and Blink are find out what differentiates the two.
- Ring vs Frontpoint – Can Ring compete with the professional home security features offered by Frontpoint? Find out in our comparison.
- Ring vs Nest – Check out who came out on top when we compared Amazon owned Ring to Google owned Nest.
- Ring vs SimpliSafe – Compare the video doorbell giant to SimpliSafe, a well respected company in the DIY home security market.
- Ring vs SkyBell – Find out how Ring matches up with its biggest competitor in the doorbell camera market, SkyBell.
- Ring vs Vivint – See how Ring compares with Vivint's full line of home security products and services.
- SimpliSafe vs Abode – See which of these two DIY home security systems takes the cake when we put them head-to-head.
- SimpliSafe vs ADT – Compare cheap DIY home security with a pro-installed alarm system.
- SimpliSafe vs Arlo – Take a look at two do-it-yourself systems that have some positives as well as some drawbacks.
- SimpliSafe vs Blink – Find out who comes out on top as we compare SimpliSafe to Amazon owned Blink.
- SimpliSafe vs CPI Security – SimpliSafe or CPI Security? See which one we chose as our favorite.
- SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint – See the benefits of low-priced home security and a mid-priced, higher-tech option.
- SimpliSafe vs Link Interactive – Look at two different cheaper do-it-yourself home security options.
- SimpliSafe vs Nest – Compare a cheaper do-it-yourself home security option with a new sleek up-and-comer.
- SimpliSafe vs Protect America – Read into the specifics that distinguish these two highly reputable DIY home security systems.
- SimpliSafe vs Ring – Find out how an affordable home security system and a video doorbell company compare to each other.
- SimpliSafe vs Vivint – Choose between a budget-friendly option alongside an advanced system that can offer all the bells-and-whistles.
- SimpliSafe vs Xfinity – Check out how SimpliSafe's DIY home security compared to the comprehensive offering of Xfinity.
- SkyBell vs Ring – See how these leaders in the doorbell camera market match up to each other in our in-depth comparison.
- Slomin's vs ADT – Find out how this regional home security company stands up to the largest, nationwide competitor.
- Smith Thompson vs ADT – See how this Texas area home security company stands up to nation wide competitor, ADT.
- Swann vs Arlo – Swann or Arlo? These camera systems are very different, but see which one is the best for your home in our comparison.
- Vector Security vs ADT – See how Vector Security compares to national home security competitor, ADT.
- Vivint vs ADT – Make a close call in home security. Vivint and ADT offer advanced features (video & home automation) at similar prices.
- Vivint vs Brinks – Vivint has some of the most advanced home automation and home security features on the market. See how they compare to the DIY simplicity offered by Brinks.
- Vivint vs Nest – See how Vivint compares to Google's entry into the home security market.
- Vivint vs Ring – This dominant force in the home security market has a new competitor. See how the easy to use Ring matches up against a full line of home security solutions.
- Vivint vs SimpliSafe – Take a look at how an advanced home security and automation company compares with a cheaper DIY option.
- Vivint vs Xfinity – Vivint and Xfinity are both great professionally installed home security systems, but which is the best? Find out in our comparison.
- Vivint vs Armorax – High-end security is the name of the game for Vivint and Armorax. But we put them head-to-head in our expert comparison. See which gets our pick.
- Vivint vs Alder – Go with Alder’s basic system, or choose Vivint’s total home security and automation. See which system is best in our expert comparison.
- Xfinity vs ADT – Two giants battle it out for best home security system on the market. See how a media juggernaut compares to a long standing name in home security.
- Xfinity vs SimpliSafe – If you have Comcast, then Xfinity home security might be a good idea, but see how SimpliSafe compares to them first.
- Xfinity vs Vivint – See which professionally installed home security system we chose as our favorite between Xfinity and Vivint.
Find Home Security System Alternatives
Another way to compare home security systems is to find alternatives to brands you may be familiar with. We have suggested alternatives for some of the biggest home security companies on the market:
Compare Home Security Warranties
When researching the warranties that come with a home security system, make sure you read the fine print for the ones that say they come with a lifetime warranty or money back guarantee. Watch out for things like warranty limitations, additional charges, or misleading coverage verbiage.
Most warranties generally cover the equipment if issues arise due to any manufacturer defects. The average warranty coverage terms usually range somewhere between 30-90 days after the initial purchase, unless you also bought an extended warranty, then the term's and coverage's will vary depending on the policy you purchased.
Here are some things you should also look for in an equipment warranty, depending on the system you decide to buy.
- Extended warranty. This will provide you with repairs and equipment replacements if your system breaks due to manufacturer defects.
- Free security system inspections. These should entitle you to periodic inspections (usually about every two years or so) to make sure your equipment is working properly.
- Free battery replacements. This should cover the cost of replacing the batteries in your system. It should also cover the labor costs and trip charges as well.
- Free system moves. This service includes moving your security system to your new home free of charge.
Obviously, the aforementioned warranty features will vary in importance, and might not even be applicable at all, depending on which type of security system you ultimately purchase.
Compare Home Security Features
Every home security system will have its own set of options; however, there are some basic features most systems will include once you decide to go with either a wired or wireless system.
- Tamper-sensitive control panels
- High-decibel alarms
- Window and door sensors
- Pet-friendly motion detectors
- Keychain remote controls
- Mobile apps for controlling your system remotely
- Glass break sensors
- Panic buttons
- Indoor and/or outdoor cameras
- Home automation features
- Medical alert equipment
Optional advanced system upgrades:
- Smoke and carbon monoxide sensors
- Water leak sensors
- Heat detectors
- Biometric voice controls
When researching home security features, opt for one that comes with the basics. Then you can add the other features you want based on your particular needs. Or better yet, find a company who offers a package deal if you upgrade to one of their advanced feature options.
Compare Home Automation
Home automation features are becoming more and more popular. Here are some of the most common features included with just about any home automation package.
- Mobile apps that combine two-way wireless communication features.
- Remote control options for your lights, blinds, thermostat, small appliances, door locks, garage door, and of course, arm and disarm your security system.
- Camera monitoring from any app-enabled device, as well as video recording storage options.
Some advanced home automation features also include voice controls at the tap of a button.
Compare Home Security Cameras
Video cameras are at the heart of any home security system. Most systems now offer live streaming video surveillance via a mobile app. Look for a system that offers high-resolution cameras with minimal light, powerful night vision, and flexible viewing and recording features.
The most common home security cameras include:
- Dome Cameras. Offer a full 360-degree view so just one camera can monitor an entire area.
- Bullet Cameras. These are small cameras shaped like a bullet and typically have a fixed lens. They are available in indoor and outdoor models and some of them come with infrared capability.
- Fixed Lens Cameras. Allow you to focus on a specific area and offer the highest quality video images.
- Remote Pan, Tilt, Zoom Cameras. These cameras can pan left or right and zoom in and out to view more image details. They also have a wider viewing angle which means you will get better quality images.
In addition to the above, outdoor cameras might also come with other options such as infrared night vision, motion detection, and wireless connectivity.
Motion Detection Cameras
Motion detection cameras are the combination of a motion detector and a camera. These cameras wait for motion before they begin to record. A motion detection camera will save on video storage space and alert you immediately when activity is detected.
Compare Home Security Availability
The best way to determine the availability of any given home security system is to contact a few of the security companies you've researched and compared, or visit their websites, so you can finalize the details and costs regarding your specific security system wants and needs.
Contacting a professional will provide you with the confirming information you need to make an educated decision about which features, packages, and options will best suit your particular situation.
Is There Home Security Near Me?
There are several ways you can go about finding a home security company near you. Alternatively, you can also purchase your system online, especially if you're buying a DIY or wireless option.
If you want a local home security company, you can simply Google “find a home security company near me” and Google will find the companies that are near. However, doing this is sometimes like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
It's much quicker and easier to use the home security research site you were using to gather your preliminary data about security systems, their functions, options, packages, and costs. These dedicated research sites (at least the good ones) will provide you with a tool where you can enter your particular security system wants and needs and answer a few short questions. They will then show you exactly which security company has what you need and can afford.
Other Security Comparisons
If you are looking for the most comprehensive level of protection for you and your loved ones, you have come to the right place. The following are some of the other security offerings we have compared: