Do you need a security system, but don't know where to start? We've tested all the major security packages to help you you choose the best fit for your needs. In this article we’ll compare SimpliSafe to Abode.
Overview: Abode vs SimpliSafe
- Abode and SimpliSafe both offer professional-grade security systems. Both offer reliable, professional cellular monitoring.
- SimpliSafe and Abode both feature DIY installation that is easy enough for just about any homeowner to do.
- Both companies offer a large selection of home security and safety equipment, including cameras, motion sensors, glass break sensors, keychain remotes, smoke detectors and more.
- Apps are available for both Adobe and SimpliSafe. These apps allow you to control your system remotely. You can turn on and off the alarm and monitor your home from anywhere in the world.
- SimpliSafe and Abode both offer telephone and online customer service and support. You can read articles and get advice about your alarm on both company’s websites.
Similarities: SimpliSafe vs Abode
Abode and SimpliSafe offer everything that you need to protect your home. The basic packages include a motion detector, key fob for arming and disarming your alarm remotely, loud siren, window sensors and door sensors. Here are some of the other similarities between the two systems.
- Includes all of the basics needed for a robust home security system
- Easy intuitive DIY self-installation
- Extensive online resources and support
- Professional cellular monitoring available
- Android and iPhone apps available
Differences: SimpliSafe vs Abode
Although SimpliSafe and Abode both offer excellent home security and safety packages, there are some important differences that you should be aware of.
- Abode offers extensive home automation capabilities whereas SimpliSafe is mainly focused on home security.
- Abode’s equipment works with Z-Wave and Zigbee smart home devices while Simplisafe does not support this technology.
- Abode offers more flexible monthly monitoring plans than SimpliSafe. They offer a free Basic plan that allows you to self-monitor your home. Plus, you can choose three or seven day on-demand professional monitoring with Abode. With SimpliSafe, there are only two monthly monitoring plans available and you must choose 24/7 monitoring.
- SimpliSafe offers lower-priced refurbished equipment whereas Abode only sells brand new equipment, which is a bit higher-priced.
- SimpliSafe allows you to return the equipment 60 days after purchase for your money back. Abode only offers a 14-day money back guarantee.
Both Abode and SimpliSafe offer comprehensive home security and safety. The basic systems include a hub or gateway, remote key fob and motion sensor. Then, you can add on things like a siren, wireless keypad, cameras, smoke and fire detectors and water leak monitors.
SimpliSafe and Abode offer robust environmental protection as well. Their optional equipment allows you to detect leaks and frozen water pipes. You can also measure the temperature and humidity in your home using either system.
Remote monitoring and control of your system is an option with either system. Both Abode and SimpliSafe offer Google Play and iTunes apps. You can turn your system on or off from anywhere in the world with the apps.
Neither SimpliSafe nor Abode require you to sign a monthly monitoring contract. This means that you can cancel your service at any time with either company.
Contracts are important when it comes to choosing a security system. A long contract may be cheaper but it means that you can’t switch providers until the contract period has ended. Flexible monitoring plans allow to cancel at any time. Neither Abode nor SimpliSafe requires a monthly monitoring contract. That means that you can cancel the monitoring service at any time.
Abode’s systems start at $279. They offer a FREE self-monitoring plan. With the FREE plan, you can connect up to 155 devices and create up to 100 automations. You also get free unlimited user accounts. There is the option to add professional monitoring for either 3 days or 7 days a week. With 3 days of monitoring, the plan is $8. Seven-day monitoring is $15 a month. If you want more robust monitoring, Abode offers the Connect + Secure plan, which is $30 per month or $240 per year. This plan features 24/7 professional monitoring with backup cellular service. You also get 90 days of media storage and telephone customer support.
SimpliSafe sells refurbished systems, which starts at just over $188. SimpliSafe’s cheapest plan is the Standard plan. It runs $14.99 a month. You get professional alarm monitoring 24/7 and backup cellular connection. SimpliSafe’s most expensive plan adds SMS and email messaging, secret alerts and remote monitoring. It is called the Interactive plan and runs $24.99 a month.
Abode uses long-range equipment that is compatible with Z-Wave and Zigbee Pro devices. This makes Abode’s equipment easily transferable to another company for monitoring. SimpliSafe uses proprietary equipment, which means that most of the equipment is not compatible with other monitoring services.
Both SimpliSafe and Abode are do-it-yourself systems. They are easy to install and come with simple instructions. Both companies offer extensive online support and resources to help the installation process go smoothly. SimpliSafe also has an online forum where you can go to ask other users questions about the service or features.
SimpliSafe and Abode offer excellent backup emergency connections. SimpliSafe's keyboard is “SmashSafe”. So, even if an intruder damages the keyboard, the police will still be alerted. They also feature a cellular connection that is backed up with an emergency wifi connection. Abode also has emergency connections built in. It uses secure wireless technology to establish a connection.
Summary: Abode vs SimpliSafe
SimpliSafe and Abode offer excellent, flexible home security equipment and monitoring for your home. Either system is great for anyone who does not want to be stuck with a monthly monitoring contract. Both alarm systems are incredibly easy to set up and require no specialized tools or equipment. SimpliSafe and Abode both offer affordable monthly monitoring plans. Plus, Abode offers free self-monitoring if you do not want professional monitoring.