Want a quick security comparison? Here are three main differences from our SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint review:
- Prices: SimpliSafe security systems and alarm monitoring plans are cheaper.
- Features: Only Frontpoint supports touchscreen control panels, home automation, and outdoor video security.
- Contracts: Only SimpliSafe is contract-free. Frontpoint’s shortest contract length is 12 months.
SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint Overview
SimpliSafe is “simple” technology-wise in comparison with Frontpoint. Still, SimpliSafe does have a video camera and mobile app. Reasons to choose SimpliSafe are lower prices and being contract-free. Reasons to choose FrontPoint are sleeker equipment and more advanced functions.
- Wireless security equipment
- DIY installation
- Video cameras available
SimpliSafe and Frontpoint both specialize in home security that’s wireless and has do-it-yourself installation. They support indoor video too.
- Contract requirements (Only with Frontpoint)
- Expenses (SimpliSafe is cheaper)
- Outdoor video & home automation (Only Frontpoint)
SimpliSafe can help keep you safe for less money and without a long-term contract… but you’ll miss out on sleeker equipment with advanced features.
Similarities: SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint
Both SimpliSafe and Frontpoint sell wireless security equipment with DIY installation. Another similarity is that alarm systems from both companies support video surveillance.
Here are answers to common questions about these home security features:
- What is wireless security equipment? Wireless security equipment communicates with radio waves. In contrast, hardwired security sends messages through wires. Hardwired security requires having an electrician cut into walls. Wireless security is damage-free. With wireless equipment you can easily install, uninstall and relocate a security system anytime. This makes both Frontpoint and SimpliSafe popular security systems for renters as well as homeowners.
- What is DIY home security installation? Setting up wireless home security usually takes an hour or less. (With SimpliSafe you might only need 15 minutes.) You’ll place freestanding security equipment around your home, and you’ll attach other sensors to doors and windows with adhesive strips. Both Frontpoint and SimpliSafe provide setup support.
- What video security cameras are available? Frontpoint supports a wide variety of high quality security cameras. This includes cameras for indoor and outdoor use. A popular example is the doorbell camera. The doorbell camera has two-way voice, which lets you create the impression of being home when you’re away. A lone SimpliSafe video camera called SimpliCam became available in June 2017. SimpliCam is highly capable — it has night vision, for example — but is for indoor use only.
Differences: SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint
Important differences between Frontpoint and SimpliSafe are features, contracts and pricing.
By “features” we mean what the security system can do. Features fall into four major categories…
- Burglary protection
- Environmental protection
- Video surveillance (Indoor/Outdoor)
- Home automation
Frontpoint uses General Electric control panels (with Frontpoint logos) to support all of the above features.
SimpliSafe builds its own control panels and sensors, which don’t support all of the above features.
One of the most cutting-edge options with Frontpoint home automation is integration with Alexa and similar technologies. Alexa lets you control your home with voice commands such as:
- “Alexa, turn on the porch lights.”
- “Alexa, tell Frontpoint to lock the doors.”
- “Alexa, set the temperature to 70 degrees.”
SimpliSafe equipment costs less because it’s factory-direct. However, it’s not as advanced. SimpliSafe equipment can provide burglary protection, environmental protection and indoor video surveillance. It cannot support outdoor cameras or home automation.
Contracts and Prices
Compared with Frontpoint, SimpliSafe has the best contract choices and prices.
Security companies often have contracts for equipment use and emergency monitoring.
- Equipment Use: Customers who don’t own security equipment make monthly payments to lease or rent-to-own.
- Emergency Monitoring: With professional monitoring, the alarm system is connected to emergency operators. Operators can alert police, fire and/or paramedics when a sensor is triggered. They can also notify your neighbors and other personal contacts. Without pro monitoring, you’re on your own to call for help.
SimpliSafe does not require contracts. Customers own their SimpliSafe systems from the beginning, so there’s no need for an equipment contract. Professional monitoring is sold month-to-month without a long-term agreement.
Frontpoint requires contracts of at least 12 months. Frontpoint customers make monthly payments to cover equipment costs and 24/7 emergency monitoring. Most customers are very satisfied and don’t mind their Frontpoint contracts… but score a point for SimpliSafe if you just don’t want the commitment.
SimpliSafe emergency monitoring plans cost $14.99 and $24.99 per month. Customers may cancel at anytime without penalty.
The basic plan provides 24/7 pro monitoring of the security system, so the home is guarded against intrusions and environmental hazards. Extra benefits of choosing the top-tier $24.99 plan are:
- Text and email alerts from SimpliSafe if a sensor is triggered
- A mobile app for remote access to the security system; view and control the system’s status from afar
- Silent alerts (For example, a text or email when somebody opens your medicine cabinet or mailbox)
Frontpoint Security plans cost $34.99, $44.99 and $49.99 per month with one-year agreements. Monthly payments cover costs for equipment and monitoring. Customers may own the equipment after a year, and they are free to choose another security monitoring company.
- $34.99 includes pro monitoring for break-ins and environmental threats
- $44.99 adds a feature-rich mobile app and automation of lights
- $49.99 supports indoor and outdoor video cameras along with digital door locks and other home automation
Summary Comparison: SimpliSafe vs Frontpoint
Which security company is best? Both companies have solid reputations, so really our answer depends on the shopper.
Compared with Frontpoint, SimpliSafe is a lower cost security solution. If you’re looking for reliable wireless security but aren’t interested in the latest wireless features, then SimpliSafe is a great option that won’t tie you into a contract. You can learn more in the full SimpliSafe review.
But if you’d like sleeker equipment (such as a touchscreen control panel), additional video security options (including a doorbell camera), and optional home automation, then Frontpoint is the better choice. It’s also one of the best home security companies in terms of customer service. Learn more in our full Frontpoint Security review.