Do you want to keep an eye on your house and yard while you are not home? Installing a security system for the outdoors can help keep you aware of what is going on outside your home. There are a variety of home security systems that will help you keep an eye on your home. Do you want to get notified every time someone rings your doorbell even if you are not at home? Want to see a real-time view of your front yard anytime? Outdoor security systems will let you do that and much more. We have narrowed down the best outdoor security systems. Here is a closer look at each system.
1. Frontpoint – Best Overall Outdoor System (Editors Choice)
Frontpoint offers DIY home security, which makes it easy to design, set up and control all aspects of your home’s security, both indoors and outdoors. Frontpoint’s professionally monitored home security system includes a variety of home security and awareness tools that make it a solid choice for outdoor monitoring. The video doorbell lets you see who is at your front door anytime. Using the convenient app, you can receive notifications when someone is at your front door. The doorbell camera also offers two-way talk. Frontpoint also offers a wireless weatherproof outdoor camera that lets you keep watch over the outside of your home.
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- 30-day no-risk money-back guarantee
- Self-installation, no tools required
- The system is pre-configured for your home
- Wire free design makes it easy to move the system
- Frontpoint mobile app for control of your system
- Three monitoring plans to choose from
- Outdoor cameras offer video streaming
- Night vision enabled outdoor cameras
- Smart video doorbell with two-way talk
- Very helpful and friendly customer service
- Monthly monitoring contract required
- Live video monitoring and recording only available on top-tier plans
- High priced monthly monitoring fees
Frontpoint is ideal for customers who are looking for DIY customizable outdoor home security. It is also great if you travel away from home often as the Frontpoint app allows you to conduct surveillance and control your system from afar.
2. Vivint – Best Outdoor Automation
Vivint is one of the top home security systems that you can buy. They offer almost everything that you could possibly want to secure indoors and out. Conduct outdoor surveillance and remotely monitor your property with the Vivint outdoor camera. The camera has infrared LED night vision, Wi-Fi connectivity and motion detection. It also offers crisp, clear images. You can use the Vivint app to monitor events on the outdoor camera. Vivint allows you to protect your property from smoke and fire with 24/7 monitoring for smoke, fire and carbon monoxide.
- Outdoor security and surveillance
- Smart home control
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- 24/7 video recording
- Voice control, mobile control and keypad control
- Garage door control
- Smart locks
- Doorbell camera with 2-way talk
- Outdoor camera with HD resolution
- Playback DVR
- Vivint smart app
- Custom notifications
- Professional installation
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Monthly monitoring is required to access most features
- Monthly monitoring is pricey
- The basic starter kit does not include outdoor or doorbell cameras
- Must pay an additional fee to playback, save and download outdoor video clips
Vivint delivers excellent outdoor home security but the price tag can be hefty depending on what features you choose. Although Vivint now offers a month-to-month plan, you will still be required to pay for monthly monitoring to access most features include instant alerts and remote control of your outdoor cameras and video doorbell.
3. ADT – Best App Control
ADT is one of the more well-known and popular home security systems. The company has more than 8 million customers and offers reliable outdoor home security and protection. The company offers a range of accessories that are great for outdoor use, such as outdoor motion detectors.
- 24/7 Professional monitoring
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- Secure remote video surveillance
- Remotely arm and disarm your system via the app
- Email and text alerts and notifications
- Fire and smoke monitoring
- Supports a wide variety of third-party apps
- Expensive system
- Monthly monitoring is required
- Top tier plan required for video monitoring
ADT is best for those who want a trusted, recognizable name in home security and are willing to pay more for that peace-of-mind. The company offers great customer service and several different promises. If your home is burglarized while the system is armed, then ADT will pay a portion of your homeowner’s insurance deductible. ADT also offers a 6-month money-back guarantee. You can get your monitoring fees refunded within the first six months if you are not happy with the service.
4. Ring – Most Affordable
Known for their doorbell cameras, Ring recently introduced a complete home security system. The Ring home security system is a cheap, DIY system that offers a surprising amount of features for the price. This system is ideal for protecting and monitoring your home inside and out. You start with a 5 piece system and then add more components to fit your needs. For outdoor security, Ring’s video doorbell is one of the best on the market. Ring offers a variety of outdoor cameras including a floodlight camera that features an ultra bright floodlight and siren. There is also a Spotlight Cam Solar that can be connected to solar power for constant use. These cameras, along with the Ring app, allow you to monitor your property in clear HD anytime. Ring can be used both with and without professional monitoring.
- Affordable outdoor home security
- No contracts required
- Simple to set up and use
- Quality components
- Smartphone control via the Ring app
- Offers both battery powered and wired devices
- Customizable to fit any home
- Instant smartphone alerts and notifications
- Optional professional 24/7 monitoring available
- No cancellation fees or costs to move service
- Designed to work with popular third-party devices
- Professional monitoring costs extra
- Limited smart home options
- You’ll likely need additional sensors and equipment for complete outdoor coverage
- No Apple HomeKit support
The Ring home security system is a good option for anyone who wants affordable outdoor security and doesn’t mind the DIY install. This system is also a good option for customers who plan to move as you can change or add-on to the system at any time.
5. Arlo – Best Outdoor Cameras
Arlo smart home security cameras provide high-quality HD video anytime day or night. You can watch over your entire property with the range of home security cameras from Arlo. Arlo’s mobile cameras do not require AC power or Wi-Fi to use. Arlo also offers a 100 percent wireless outdoor security light that works with Amazon Alexa. You can schedule or automate outdoor lighting whenever you will be away from home.
Every Arlo outdoor camera includes the Arlo Basic monitoring. This allows you to keep 7 days worth of sound and motion-triggered recordings for up to five outdoor or indoor cameras.
- Sharp, HD-quality video
- IP65 certified weather-resistant
- View live videos anytime from the app
- 24/7 video recording available
- Free Arlo app available for Android, iOS, web browser and Apple TV
- Free basic plan with free cloud storage
- Wireless, smart-controlled, LED lighting available
- Outdoor cameras feature 7-day cloud recording and two-way audio
- The Arlo Q line of cameras offer 24/7 cloud video recording
- Powerful motion and sound detection
- Many smart features and automations available
- Connect up to five cameras for free
- Supports up to 15 cameras on one account
- Easily share videos with neighbors, friends and family
- Requires a hub, which must be purchased separately
- Can access outdoor cameras and lighting from just one device at a time
With the Arlo home security system, you can be sure that every angle of your home is covered. Arlo is ideal for almost any customer who wants comprehensive home security coverage outdoors and doesn’t mind paying a bit more for it.
Outdoor Home Security Systems
Nowadays, you can find outdoor home security systems with all kinds of features ranging from night vision to smart home integration. Here are some important outdoor home security features that can help you monitor your outdoor area.
Outdoor Security Cameras
Outdoor security cameras are available with a variety of features and capabilities. Some of them are wireless and others need to be wired into an existing light fixture. You can choose from features like HD-quality video, smartphone monitoring and control, night vision and more.
Outdoor Motion Sensors
Outdoor motion sensing security lights can send an alert to your cell phone or sound an alarm when motion is detected outdoors. These sensors are usually pet and animal-friendly.
Outdoor Security & Flood Lights
These can be used as part of your landscape security to enhance the safety of your security. You can use motion-activated security and flood lighting to save electricity. Some of these types of lighting work via solar power.
Garage Door Alarms
A smart garage door alarm can send a notification to your smartphone or tablet when your garage door is opened. The secure technology helps prevent unauthorized garage entry.
Pool alarms can be used to enhance the safety and security of your pool area. A pool alarm can alert you to the presence of children or other people around your swimming pool.
Features of Outdoor Home Security Systems
If you want to know what is going on outside your home when you are not there, an outdoor home security system is best. When choosing an outdoor home security system, look for the following important features.
Most outdoor home security systems offer multiple ways for you to arm and disarm your system. The keypad is used most frequently to arm and disarm security. Most systems also offers remote arming and disarming. You can arm and disarm your outdoor security cameras and other features using an app.
Smart door locks allow you to lock and unlock your front entry door from anywhere. They also help protect against unauthorized entry to your home. Many also feature notifications to your smartphone. These will alert you when someone enters or leaves your home.
The best outdoor security systems offer mobile alerts so that you can receive instant notifications on your smart device for various security events around your home. Receive alerts from your outdoor cameras when there is movement on your lawn. Setup your doorbell camera to send mobile alerts to your phone when someone presses your doorbell.
Choose outdoor security cameras that offer remote access. This will allow you to view your outdoor area from anywhere. Remotely access outdoor cameras, smart lighting and video doorbells using a smartphone or device.
Doorbell cameras work with your smartphone to allow you to monitor your front door. Some feature two-way talk so that you can chat with visitors even when you are not at home. Others have wide-angle lens to allow you to see your entire front entryway.
Night Vision Cameras
Night vision cameras allow you to see crisp, clear images outside your home even on the darkest of nights. High-quality outdoor cameras feature infrared LED night vision.
Use smart lighting and outdoor cameras to detect motion outside of your home. Most systems allow you to send automatic notifications to your smartphone whenever motion is detected. Look for pet-friendly motion detectors.
You can use outdoor security lights to automate your landscape lighting. Some smart outdoor lighting works in tandem with outdoor security cameras. So, when motion is detected, it will trigger the lighting to turn on and the camera to start recording. High-end systems can send instant recordings to your smartphone.
Smart garage door openers allow you to control your garage door from afar. Some feature alarms that can be programmed to sound if the garage door is opened when the alarm is armed. Smart garage door openers can send instant notifications to your phone to alert you when the door is opened unexpectedly.