LifeLock and ProtectMyID are specifically designed to monitor your personal information and protect you from identity theft and fraud. Both are effective but offer varying degrees of protection in terms of credit monitoring and recovery.
Overview: LifeLock vs ProtectMyID
LifeLock and ProtectMyID provide information on any new accounts that are found under your name as well as changes to your credit report. They are both effective at monitoring the internet and suspicious websites to locate your information on suspicious websites. They do, however, differ in terms of the alerts you receive and being able to connect to all of your financial accounts.
- ProtectMyID is affiliated with Experian Credit Bureau
- LifeLock offers copies of all three credit reports for free once a year
- ProtectMyID cannot connect to your bank records or see large charges on your credit cards
- LifeLock offers three primary coverage options with varying degrees of protection
- Both companies scan the Dark Web and suspicious websites on a regular basis
Similarities: ProtectMyID vs LifeLock
Both LifeLock and ProtectMyID scan the internet and suspicious websites to detect where your information is being used. They offer surveillance alerts when most types of suspicious activity occur. They monitor address changes and provide effective lost wallet protection. Both companies offer child identity theft protection.
- Both companies have the resources to solve any issues you may encounter if your identity is stolen
- Each company offers protection against the misuse of your child's identity
- Both companies watch for the creation of new accounts or the misuse of your social security number or address
- Both provide access to your credit reports from all three bureaus in limited amounts
- Each company provides alerts and notifications when different types of suspicious activity are detected
Differences: ProtectMyID vs LifeLock
LifeLock has the ability to connect to bank accounts and monitor credit card usage for almost any size purchase. ProtectMyID cannot connect to bank accounts but it can monitor large purchases. Because of its affiliation with Experian, ProtectMyID can provide monitoring for at least the Experian credit report and scores.
- LifeLock offers sex offender notifications
- ProtectMyID cannot connect to bank accounts or financial institutions
- LifeLock can notify you of fraudulent account activity and when new accounts are opened
- ProtectMyID does not offer court or criminal records monitoring
- LifeLock provides month to month credit score tracking
LifeLock offers several features and services that allow them to monitor any address changes, social security number sightings, and possible court records that are filed in your name. They also provide coverage for lost wallets or if your credit cards are lost, stolen, or compromised in any way. Their software constantly scans the internet to identify fraudulent or suspicious websites.
ProtectMyID also scans the web and carefully monitor suspicious websites and prevent your social security number and other personal information from being misused. They protect you from loss of your wallet is lost or stolen and watches for large purchases on your credit cards.
Financial & Credit Monitoring
LifeLock is capable of tracking your bank accounts and will identify you of major purchases and if any new accounts are opened in your name. LifeLock also monitors your credit to identify if any abuses of your credit have occurred. They also can protect you from potential payday loan scams and various types of financial fraud.
ProtectMyID is limited in its credit monitoring and cannot connect to your bank accounts. Although, it can identify large purchases through your credit report. Its affiliation with Experian allows you to obtain a copy of at least that bureau's credit report and score when you first sign up. After that, you can obtain all three credit reports, but you will have to pay for them separately.
Identity Restoration & Insurance Coverage
LifeLock offers restoration and recovery services with every package they offer. Up to $1 million is also offered to offset the cost of recovering and restoring your identity. Each package offers a different amount starting at $25,000.
ProtectMyID also offers up to $1 million to help recover any funds that have been lost or stolen. They also offer a variety of resources to help uncover fraudulent activity and restore your identity if it has been used illegally.
Pricing & Plans
LifeLock has three plans. They are the Standard which is $9.99 a month for the first year ($12.99 after), Advantage which costs $19.99 a month for the first year ($24.99 after), and Ultimate Plus that costs $29.99 a month for the first year ($34.99 after). They also offer protection for children (LifeLock Junior) starting at $5.99 a month per child.
ProtectMyID offers a basic package that starts $15.95 a month. Credit reports can be purchased as desired. One report costs approximately $10, while all reports from all three bureaus will cost over $30 each time.
Summary: LifeLock vs ProtectMyID
LifeLock is designed for the person who wants to protect their entire family from both identity theft and credit fraud. Although not cost effective for a large family, it's a great choice for someone who wants comprehensive service for an affordable price.
ProtectMyID is for someone who wants the barest of services. The price is affordable but the package isn't designed to be technologically advanced. It does offer effective protection if you want to monitor your credit reports.