Home security systems — particularly the best DIY security systems — have a lot of moving parts. You’re going to need to pick out sensors, base stations, keypads, security cameras, and whatever else you think you’ll need to keep your family safe. There’s also the question of who you’re going to purchase all of this from. Are you going to go with an established brand like a Ring or an ADT, or do you think a lesser known company like Reolink might be one for you?
Regardless, one of the biggest considerations you’ll have to make will pertain to cost. When you’re loading up your physical or digital shopping cart, the bill can quickly add up. That’s why you should take every opportunity you can find to save.
The good news is, it’s not hard to find a deal when you’re shopping security. It doesn’t matter if it’s a major retail holiday, a big sale around Christmas or Independence day, or just a regular ol’ Wednesday — there are tons of ways to save on home security systems. And we’ve got all the info here.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals and Sales
Home security systems tend to sell very well and very quickly around the holidays. Generally, you’ll find the best deals of the year on security systems anytime between Black Friday and the end of Cyber Week (some brands extend the deals past New Year’s, too).
So that’s my first word of advice if you’re trying to save money on a security system this year: Start doing your homework now. Figure out the type of system you want (there’s lots of variety here!) and what you’d like to spend.
Did You Know? SimpliSafe sells DIY home security systems that start in the $200 range for equipment. You can then choose to self-monitor the system or sign up for 24/7 monitoring starting at only $17.99 per month. Read all about it in our hands-on SimpliSafe review.
For instance, are you looking for enough motion sensors and security cameras to outfit your entire house, or are you just looking for a video doorbell to ward off those pesky porch pirates? Do you want something that’s hardwired and requires professional installation like ADT or Vivint, or are you handy with the power drill and want to take a more DIY route? If so, something from Cove or the above-mentioned SimpliSafe might do the trick.
Prime Day: What to Expect
Get ready, gang. Prime day is approaching.
Usually happening sometime in the mid summer, Prime Day is one of the biggest shopping holidays for consumer products — security equipment included. While many brands offer deep discounts on Prime Day, pay particular attention to companies owned by Amazon like Ring and Blink. It’s still a little too early to tell, but you might see some discounts on Ring’s newest products like the Ring Car Cam, a dashboard camera that’s currently going for $249.99.
For Prime Day this year, it’s safe to expect some type of discount on Ring Alarm as well as other Ring devices like the Ring Stick Up Cam and the Ring Video Doorbell.
In this industry, you’ll find that each company offers their own promotions and packages, and those tend to change frequently. You’ll find lots of surprises with the brands highlighted below.
Pro Tip: Want home security that includes cameras? Visit our comprehensive security camera buying guide to learn more.
For homeowners on a budget, a fully DIY kit from SimpliSafe is one of the most affordable ways to secure your home, and the brand happens to be running a 30-percent-off sale right now, and you’ll get a free indoor camera with two free months of monitoring with the purchase of a new system.
Past deals on SimpliSafe home security systems included:
- A Cyber Monday 2019 deal that slashed 50 percent off select SimpliSafe systems, including the brand’s most popular starter kit, The Essentials. That kit, originally $259, was seen for sale as low as $130.
- For first-time customers in 2020, SimpliSafe took 25 percent off any new system, plus a free SimpliCam camera on Father’s Day. That same first-time offer popped up several other times throughout the year, too.
- Earlier in 2021, SimpliSafe’s website displayed a “private sale” for 20 percent off any new system, plus the SimpliCam.
- In 2022, many of Ring’s video doorbells went on sale. Discounts ranged from 20 to a whopping 54 percent off!
For lots more ways to save, visit my complete SimpliSafe deals guide.
One of the good things about Vivint is that everything is handled by professionals. No climbing up on ladders, no dusting off the power tools. Your equipment prices are also baked into your monthly monitoring payment, so you’re not going to break the bank right upfront. You call and request a quote, and you’ll get one-on-one help from an expert to help you build out the system you need. In a few days, a technician will be out to your house to set the system up and give you all the information you’ll need to use your system effectively.
Note that this is going to cost you more than you’ll pay for a DIY setup, but on the plus side, Vivint is by far the smartest home security system out there. Read more about it in our in-depth Vivint smart home review.
As far as seasonal savings, Vivint doesn’t typically hold Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, since they’re more of a pay-as-you-build system. An introductory deal once offered savings up to $500 on a system that included free installation and $0 activation fee. For more offers and ways to save on Vivint, head to our in-depth Vivint Security System deals and discounts guide.
They’re not as smart or as layered as Vivint, but Frontpoint does tend to be generous with discounts. It’s a DIY, build-your-own system, with reasonable equipment prices and monitoring fees. Plus, right now you can get a free Frontpoint Doorbell Camera with any installation. It’s not clear how long that free doorbell deal will last; it might be worth taking a look at our full Frontpoint Home Security review to learn more.
Past deals on Frontpoint home security systems include:
- $300 in savings for new customers if you sign up for three years of professional monitoring with Frontpoint. The value of this offer does tend to change according to the type of equipment you need and the size of your system, so keep this in mind.
- Package discounts are periodically posted on Frontpoint’s website. The Pro Package discount consists of a Frontpoint keypad, three door and window sensors, a motion sensor, a glass-break sensor, and a keychain remote. Normally $509.93, the Pro Package is discounted to $199.95. That’s a savings of more than $200 – and pretty hard to beat. It’s hard to predict exactly when this discount will be offered again, but keep checking back.
- In June 2022, all Frontpoint equipment went on sale for 35 percent off. The company even threw in a free video doorbell with select package purchases.
- Currently you can save 25 percent sitewide and receive free ground shipping when you shop online for your new Frontpoint security system.
For more ways to save on Frontpoint, visit our Frontpoint deals guide.
Of course, there’s nothing wrong with sticking to the classics, either. ADT, one of the most recognizable names in home security, handles pricing much like the way Vivint does: You choose the system and they’ll install it for you.
ADT doesn’t display big promotions or sales on their website, but they do encourage folks to speak to an ADT agent to learn about current deals and discounts. In the meantime, take a look at our full ADT home security review.
Past deals on ADT home security systems include:
- A special promotion for 24/7 monitoring services through ADT starting at $1 a day. This is for existing ADT customers who decide to upgrade to 24/7 monitoring. It also requires a 36-month service agreement.
- USAA insurance customers who buy an ADT system may qualify for home security discounts starting at $26 per month – about a 10 percent discount when it all shakes out.
- In 2022, ADT offered a holiday deal — 30 percent off sitewide and a free Google Nest Doorbell with the purchase of any video package.
- Right now ADT is running two concurrent deals. You’ll get a free nest doorbell and Nest Cam with the purchase of any professionally installed video package, or you can save 30 percent on any of their new DIY systems. Read more about those in our guide to ADT Self Setup systems.
For lots more ways to save on ADT, visit our complete ADT deals, sales, and discounts guide.
Pro Tip: It’s always a good idea to check your homeowner’s insurance policy before choosing a security system. Many insurance carriers offer policy discounts, which could go a long way toward offsetting the costs of your system.
If you’re looking for something a little different, you might consider taking a look at Lorex. Known for their security cameras, they also offer quite a range of DIY home security products. Check out my review of the Lorex Doorbell for a little more information on that.
Past deals on Lorex systems and cameras included the following:
- In 2022, Lorex launched a year-end clearance sale with many pieces of equipment going for up to 50 percent off.
- In 2020, Lorex discounted dozens of their indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras up to 50 percent off retail.
- That same year, Lorex’s 4-camera, 8-channel NVR systems rolled out at a sale price of $249.99.
- In 2019, Lorex cameras were marked at 48 percent and 140 percent off retail at Amazon and Walmart, respectively.
For lots more ways to save on Lorex, visit my complete guide to Lorex’s best deals, discounts, and special offers. Here’s a hint — they’re always offering deals on cameras. Right now you can get a Lorex 4K Active Deterrence Security Bullet Camera, which usually retails for $79.99, for just $59.99.
Final Thoughts on Home Security System Deals and Discounts
There’s no shortage of variety in this industry, that’s for sure. In many home security brands, how much you pay is entirely up to you: You can build the system that fits your needs and your space. You can choose lots of cameras or no cameras; lots of sensors or just a couple — or a healthy sampling of both. You can choose to get professional monitoring or do your own monitoring. Or you can buy a system for an entire home or just a few sensors to protect your entryways.
No matter which system you choose, I hope this guide has helped you sort through the many deals, discounts, and special offers that can help you save money on a home security system. For more, visit our full beginner’s guide to home security systems.