With so many moving parts in a home security system, making sense of pricing – specifically, what makes a “good deal” in this industry – can be challenging. But it’s important to get it right. After all, home security is more than a purchase; it’s an investment in your family’s safety.
That said, the costs of securing your home can add up fast if you’re not careful. To help you narrow things down, let’s take a look at some of the most intriguing deals out there among the best brands in home security – Vivint, ADT, Frontpoint, SimpliSafe, the Amazon-backed Ring Alarm, and more.
Whether it’s Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Prime Day, or just Tuesday, you’ll find lots of ways to save money on home security systems. If you’re trying to get your hands on that brand-new Vivint smart home security system you’ve been eyeing, stay tuned!
Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals and Sales
Home security systems tend to sell very well and very quickly around the holidays. Generally, you’ll find the best deals of the year on security systems anytime between Black Friday and the end of Cyber Week (some brands extend the deals past New Year’s, too).
So that’s my first word of advice if you’re trying to save money on a security system this year: Start doing your homework now. Figure out the type of system you want (there’s lots of variety here!) and what you’d like to spend.
Did You Know: SimpliSafe sells DIY home security systems that start in the $200 range for equipment. You can then choose to self-monitor the system or sign up for 24/7 monitoring starting at only $14.99 per month. Read all about it in our hands-on SimpliSafe review.
Do you want enough motion sensors and cameras to outfit your whole home, or are you looking for simple entryway protection? Do you want a wired alarm system with professional installation like ADT or Vivint, or would you rather go the DIY route with something from Cove or the above-mentioned SimpliSafe (our favorite pick)?
Prime Day: What to Expect
Amazon’s biggest sales day of the year promises lots of deep discounts for home security shoppers. Prime Day also presents a tremendous opportunity to save on Ring products. As you might be aware, Ring has expanded their inventory in recent years to include Ring Alarm, a well-made DIY security system that offers low-cost professional monitoring.
For Prime Day this year, it’s safe to expect some type of discount on Ring Alarm as well as other Ring devices like the Ring Stick Up Cam and the Ring Video Doorbell.
In this industry, you’ll find that each company offers their own promotions and packages, and those tend to change frequently. You’ll find lots of surprises with the brands highlighted below.
Pro Tip: Want home security that includes cameras? Visit our comprehensive security camera buying guide to learn more.
For homeowners on a budget, a fully DIY kit from SimpliSafe is one of the most affordable ways to secure your home, and the brand happens to be running a 20-percent-off sale right now.
Past deals on SimpliSafe home security systems included:
- A Cyber Monday 2019 deal that slashed 50 percent off select SimpliSafe systems, including the brand’s most popular starter kit, The Essentials. That kit, originally $259, was seen for sale as low as $130.
- For first-time customers in 2020, SimpliSafe took 25 percent off any new system, plus a free SimpliCam camera on Father’s Day. That same first-time offer popped up several other times throughout the year, too.
- Earlier in 2021, SimpliSafe’s website displayed a “private sale” for 20 percent off any new system, plus the SimpliCam.
For lots more ways to save, visit my complete SimpliSafe deals guide.
With Vivint, everything is handled by a pro, and equipment prices are baked into your monthly monitoring payment. By calling to request a quote, you’ll get one-on-one help to build the system you need. A Vivint pro will come out and install the system in your home, and show you how to use it.
Note that this is going to cost you more than you’ll pay for a DIY setup, but on the plus side, Vivint is by far the smartest home security system out there. Read more about it in our in-depth Vivint smart home review here.
As far as seasonal savings, Vivint doesn’t typically hold Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, since they’re more of a pay-as-you-build system. An introductory deal once offered savings up to $500 on a system that included free installation and $0 activation fee. For more offers and ways to save on Vivint, head to our in-depth Vivint Security System deals and discounts guide.
They’re not as smart or as layered as Vivint, but Frontpoint does tend to be generous with discounts. It’s a DIY, build-your-own system, with reasonable equipment prices and monitoring fees. Plus, right now you can get a free Frontpoint Doorbell Camera with any installation. It’s not clear how long that free doorbell deal will last; it might be worth taking a look at our full Frontpoint Home Security review to learn more.
Past deals on Frontpoint home security systems include:
- $300 in savings for new customers if you sign up for three years of professional monitoring with Frontpoint. The value of this offer does tend to change according to the type of equipment you need and the size of your system, so keep this in mind.
- Package discounts are periodically posted on Frontpoint’s website. The Pro Package discount consists of a Frontpoint keypad, three door and window sensors, a motion sensor, a glass-break sensor, and a keychain remote. Normally $509.93, the Pro Package is discounted to $199.95. That’s a savings of more than $200 – and pretty hard to beat. It’s hard to predict exactly when this discount will be offered again, but keep checking back.
For more ways to save on Frontpoint, visit our Frontpoint deals guide.
Of course, there’s nothing wrong with sticking to the classics, either. ADT, one of the most recognizable names in home security, handles pricing much like the way Vivint does: You choose the system and they’ll install it for you. ADT packages start around $29 per month and range upwards of $60 per month.
ADT doesn’t display big promotions or sales on their website, but they do encourage folks to speak to an ADT agent to learn about current deals and discounts. In the meantime, take a look at our full ADT home security analysis.
Past deals on ADT home security systems include:
- A special promotion for 24/7 monitoring services through ADT starting at $1 a day. This is for existing ADT customers who decide to upgrade to 24/7 monitoring. It also requires a 36-month service agreement.
- USAA insurance customers who buy an ADT system may qualify for home security discounts starting at $26 per month – about a 10 percent discount when it all shakes out.
For lots more ways to save on ADT, visit our complete ADT deals, sales, and discounts guide.
Pro Tip: It’s always a good idea to check your homeowner’s insurance policy before choosing a security system. Many insurance carriers offer policy discounts, which could go a long way toward offsetting the costs of your system. Learn more in our home security and homeowners insurance discount guide.
For a different kind of all-in-one home security experience, you might take a look at the Home Center from Lorex. Currently, you can save up to $100 on a Lorex Home Center right now, with or without cameras, and you can always add motion sensors and even a snazzy Lorex Doorbell camera later, if you want. (Read more in my review of Lorex Doorbell.)
Past deals on Lorex systems and cameras included the following:
- In 2020, Lorex discounted dozens of their indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras up to 50 percent off retail.
- That same year, Lorex’s 4-camera, 8-channel NVR systems rolled out at a sale price of $249.99.
- In 2019, Lorex cameras were marked at 48 percent and 140 percent off retail at Amazon and Walmart, respectively.
For lots more ways to save on Lorex, visit my complete guide to Lorex’s best deals, discounts, and special offers.
Final Thoughts on Home Security System Deals and Discounts
There’s no shortage of variety in this industry, that’s for sure. In many home security brands, how much you pay is entirely up to you: You can build the system that fits your needs and your space. You can choose lots of cameras or no cameras; lots of sensors or just a couple — or a healthy sampling of both. You can choose to get professional monitoring or do your own monitoring. Or you can buy a system for an entire home or just a few sensors to protect your entryways.
No matter which system you choose, I hope this guide has helped you sort through the many deals, discounts, and special offers that can help you save money on a home security system. For more, visit our full beginner’s guide to home security systems.