After deciding to install an ADT security system, you will probably have a number of questions about their contract. The answers to these questions will vary, and, in many cases, will vary greatly. Therefore, it's best to take some time to thoroughly read and make sure you understand the contract of all the brands you are considering before you make any final decisions. Doing so will help you make an educated decision about which brand best suits you and your particular needs.
Here are some of the most common contract questions people ask before deciding on a security system.
How Long Are the ADT Contracts?
ADT doesn't require a monthly charge for their equipment; however, they do require you to sign a 36-month monitoring contract unless you live in California, then it's a 24/month contract.
Does ADT Charge an Installation or Activation Charge?
Yes, ADT does charge a service and installation/activation charge. That charge will vary depending on the system configuration, equipment, and services you selected.
Are There Any Other ADT Charges Required?
Maybe. If you live in an area that requires a guard response service for municipal alarm verification, then yes, there will be an additional charge added to your contract and those fees will vary from market to market.
Your service might also include a local permit fee if required in your particular area and that verbiage will be added to your contract as well.
What Are the Terms of the ADT Contracts?
The terms of the ADT contract include the following:
- A contract is required.
- Service and installation/activation fees are required.
- Applicable taxes are extra.
- An early termination fee of 75% of your monthly service charge will be due on the remaining balance of the initial contract term.
- There are additional charges for the guard response service for municipal alarm verification.
- All equipment remains the property of ADT.
- Prices are subject to change and may vary by market.
- You might be required to pay for a local permit fee.
- An acceptable credit history required.
- A security deposit may be required.
- Standard message and data rates may apply to all text alerts.
- ADT includes a 6-month money-back service guarantee in their contract.
- Theft protection guarantee.
- Mover's package guarantee.
- The ADT services are not available in all geographic areas.
What Is the ADT Cancellation Policy?
If you cancel your ADT contract early, they may charge you 75% of the monthly service charge for the remainder of the initial contract.
Also, please be aware that your ADT contract will renew automatically if you don't cancel prior to the end of your contract. But keep in mind, you can't cancel your service online, ADT requires you to call and talk to them about your cancellation before they will actually cancel your contract for you.
Does ADT Offer Any No Contract Options?
The answer to this question is two-fold. If there is already an ADT security system installed at your residence, then yes, you can use it without paying a monthly monitoring fee. However, if someone attempts to break-in, the alarm will go off, but since that alarm isn't being monitored, nothing will happen unless someone hears the alarm going off and calls the police.
If you are asking if ADT offers any of their monitoring services without requiring you to sign a contract, then no, they don't. All ADT monitoring services require you to sign a 36-month contract, or a 24-month contract if you live in California.
What Happens to My ADT Contract If I Move?
If you are moving and want to take your ADT security system with you, they make it very easy to do. ADT has a Mover's Package Guarantee as part of their contract, there are some restrictions though.
- You have to be a current or a previous ADT customer who had an active ADT service contract that was monitored for at least two years.
- Your ADT contract must be in good standing or was left in good standing when you initially canceled your service.
- The mover's option is good for two years following your initial cancellation of service.
- A new 36-month contract will be required when moving or restoring your service and will be at the new current rate.
- ADT has the right to substitute their equipment packages with other comparable options.
- You may be required to pay a local permit fee.
- An acceptable credit history is required.
- Proof of homeownership is required.
- A security deposit may be required.
- Offers not available in all markets and there could be additional fees required for some services.
- You can only use your relocation credits towards the installation charge of your new equipment and your credits can't be used for any other purpose.
- The security system and equipment remain the property of ADT.
Does the ADT Contract Renew Automatically?
Yes, the ADT contract does renew automatically. Therefore, if you don't cancel, which you can't do online, you have to call them to cancel, then your contract will renew automatically for another 36 months. So, it's really important that you keep up with your contract dates, especially if you don't plan on renewing.
Is the Theft Protection Guarantee Included in the Contract?
Any customer who presents ADT with an Original Certificate will be eligible for the reimbursement of a stolen system up to $500 of the homeowner's insurance deductible if they have one. There is quite a bit of fine print with their theft protection guarantee, so make sure you read this section carefully before you make any final decisions about your service.