Medical alert systems can help you summon help in case of an emergency. There are a variety of systems out there. Medical alert systems vary greatly in terms of cost, equipment, and capabilities. We’ve developed this page to help you compare systems.
Compare Medical Alert System Costs
The first step in comparing medical alert systems is to look at their costs. When comparing the costs of medical alert systems, you’ll want to look at two things — equipment costs and monthly monitoring fees.
The equipment and its costs can vary greatly among medical alert systems. The most basic systems include a base unit and a help button that you either wear around your neck, as a bracelet or clip to your clothing. More sophisticated systems include GPS tracking devices and smartwatches. The costs of equipment can range from free for basic equipment to hundreds of dollars for more sophisticated units. Accessories like wall-mounted wall-buttons or lockboxes can also drive up the costs of equipment.
Another factor that plays a part in the cost of a medical alert system is monitoring fees. Most units feature 24/7 professional monitoring. The rates can range from $25 for basic landline-based monitoring to $75 or more for GPS or cellular monitoring.
Some medical alert systems require monitoring contracts and some do not. If you want the flexibility of canceling your service at any time, then choose a medical alert system that does not require a monitoring contract. If you prefer to save money on monitoring fees, then you might want to go with a company that offers a contract as the monthly monitoring rates are often lower with contracts.
A trial period gives you time to try out the system risk-free. That way, you know whether or not the system will work for your needs. With a risk-free trial, you can return the system at no charge during the trial period. Most trial periods last anywhere from 14 to 30 days.
Compare Medical Alert System Features
Medical alert systems come with a variety of features. Some of the popular medical alert system features include:
- Cellular monitoring
- DIY installation
- 2-way voice
- Waterproof help button
- GPS location services
- Long-range capabilities
- Long battery life
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Spousal coverage
- Automatic fall detection
Medical alert systems come with a variety of add-on services and features. These features add convenience and safety to your daily life. Here are some common medical alert system add-ons.
- Wall Button
- Automatic fall detection
- Smoke detector
- Fitness and activity tracking
Compare Medical Alert Systems Coverage
Some medical alert systems are for use at home and some are for use on-the-go. To decide what kind of medical alert system coverage you need, think about where you will be using the system. Do you mostly stay at home or are you outside of your home often?
At-Home Medical Alert Systems
If you stay inside your home for the most part, then an at-home medical alert system might be the best choice for you. These systems are either landline or cellular-based and provide protection inside the home.
On-The-Go Medical Alert System
If you are outdoors often, working in the garden, taking walks, volunteering in the community and so forth, then an on-the-go medical alert system would probably be the best choice for you. These systems use cellular and/or GPS services to determine your location and summon help while you are away from home.
Compare Medical Alert System Companies
The following are comparisons of some of the most popular medical alert companies on the market:
- ADT Health vs Life Alert – ADT is one of the most recognized home security brands around. See how they compare to the most recognized medical alert brand.
- Alert1 vs Life Alert – Can Alert1 stand up to the household name of Life Alert? Find out in our comparison review.
- Alert1 vs Medical Alert – Alert 1 or Medical Alert? It’s a tough choice, but we picked the best one. See which medical alert system took the crown in our comparison.
Bay Alarm Medical
- Bay Alarm Medical vs Life Alert – See how this well recognized home security company’s medical alert device compares to Life Alert.
- Bay Alarm Medical vs LifeStation – Is Bay Alarm Medical better than LifeStation? Read our comparison to find out.
- Bay Alarm Medical vs Medical Alert – Bay Alarm Medical is a well known name in home security. See how their medical alert system competes with Medical Alert.
- Bay Alarm Medical vs Medical Guardian – Does Bay Alarm Medical match up to Medical Guardian? Find out in our comparison.
- Bay Alarm Medical vs MobileHelp – Bay Alarm Medical or MobileHelp? See which system we chose in our comparison.
- GreatCall vs Life Alert – Does GreatCall stand up to the recognizable name of Life Alert? Find out in our comparison review.
- GreatCall vs Medical Guardian – See how Best Buy owned GreatCall compares to Medical Guardian in our detailed comparison.
- Life Alert vs ADT Health – See how Life Alert compares to the medical alert system from the recognizable name of ADT.
- Life Alert vs Alert1 – Life Alert is a huge name in medical alert systems. See how they match up to Alert1.
- Life Alert vs Bay Alarm Medical – Is Life Alert better than Bay Alarm Medical? Find out in our in-depth comparison.
- Life Alert vs GreatCall – See how an experienced medical alert company compares to a newer medical alert in our comparison.
- Life Alert vs LifeStation – Life Alert or LifeStation? This could be a difficult decision, but our comparison helps to determine the best brand.
- Life Alert vs Medical Alert – Does the household name of Life Alert stand up to Medical Alert? Find out in our comparison.
- Life Alert vs Medical Guardian – Life Alert and Medical Guardian are well known names, but which takes the top spot? Read our comparison to find out.
- Life Alert vs Philips Lifeline – Does Life Alert stand up to the reputation of Philips? You’ll have to check out our comparison to find out.
- LifeFone vs Medical Guardian – Read our comparison review of LifeFone and Medical Guardian to see who comes out on top.
- LifeStation vs Bay Alarm Medical – Check out our in-depth comparison of LifeStation and Bay Alarm Medical.
- LifeStation vs Life Alert – LifeStation or Life Alert? Which is the best? Read our medical alert comparison to find out.
- LifeStation vs Medical Guardian – Does LifeStation stand up to Medical Guardian? Find out as we put these two medical alert systems head-to-head.
- Medical Guardian vs Bay Alarm Medical – How does Medical Guardian compare to Bay Alarm Medical? Find out as these two medical alert companies face off.
- Medical Guardian vs GreatCall – Does Medical Guardian stand up to this Best Buy owned company? Read how Medical Guardian and GreatCall compare in our review.
- Medical Guardian vs LifeFone – Medical Guardian and LifeFone are two of the biggest medical alert device companies. Find out which one takes the top spot in our comparison.
- Medical Guardian vs LifeStation – Medical Guardian or LifeStation? It’s a tough choice, but our comparison of the two shows who the clear winner is.
- Medical Guardian vs Medical Care Alert – See how Medical Guardian’s tech matches up against Medical Care Alert.
- Medical Guardian vs MobileHelp – Is Medical Guardian better than MobileHelp? Find out in our comparison of the two medical alert devices.
- Medical Guardian vs Medical Alert – We know that both of these companies are good, but which is great? Find out in our comparison.
- Medical Guardian vs Philips Lifeline – See how Medical Guardian stands up to the brand presence and the electronic expertise of Philips.
- Medical Alert vs Alert1 – See if Medical Alert is a better medical alert system than Alert1 in our comparison review.
- Medical Alert vs Bay Alarm Medical – Is Medical Alert a higher quality medical alert system than Bay Alarm Medical? Find out by reading our comparison.
- Medical Alert vs Medical Guardian – Does Medical Alert trump Medical Guardian? Read our comparison to find out.
- Medical Alert vs MobileHelp – Find out which system took the top spot in our detailed comparison.
- Medical Alert vs Philips Lifeline – Medical Alert is a great medical alert system, but is it better than Philips Lifeline? Found out in our comparison.
Medical Care Alert
- Medical Care Alert vs Medical Guardian – Medical Care Alert is a recognizable brand in medical alert devices, but does it compare to Medical Guardian? Find out in our review.
- MobileHelp vs Bay Alarm Medical – MobileHelp or Bay Alarm Medical? It’s not an easy decision, but we picked the best one.
- MobileHelp vs Medical Alert – Does MobileHelp compete with Medical Alert? Find out in our comparison.
- MobileHelp vs Medical Guardian – Read our comparison review and see if MobileHelp is better than Medical Guardian.
- Philips Lifeline vs Life Alert – Philips Lifeline and Life Alert are both great brands, but which is the best? Find out in our comparison.
- Philips Lifeline vs Medical Alert – See how Philips Lifeline compares to the well known name of Medical Alert.
- Philips Lifeline vs Medical Guardian – Philips is a recognizable household name, which gives them an advantage over other medical alert systems. See if they can hold their ground when matched up with Medical Guardian in our comparison review.
Find Medical Alert System Alternatives
Another way to find a medical alert system is to find comparable alternatives to the big household names. The following are some alternatives for well known medical alert systems: