Before you choose your home security system, you must identify what type of security you need and whether or not it can be covered by your budget. If you have a limited amount of money to spend on an alarm system, home security companies have several packages available to make it more affordable.
Overview: ADT vs LiveWatch
Both ADT and LiveWatch offer state of the art technology when it comes to home security systems and video surveillance. Their interactive systems allow you to control your settings and view your home from remote, mobile apps. Each system interacts with emergency management personnel and provides 24/7 security monitoring.
- ADT requires professional installation, while LiveWatch offers DIY installation
- Both ADT and LiveWatch offer indoor/outdoor camera and video (with 24/7 monitoring subscription)
- LiveWatch offers a lifetime warranty
- LiveWatch is more affordable than ADT, but ADT offers professional support on a 24/7 basis
- ADT requires a three-year contract for 24/7 monitoring but can use other home security system equipment
Similarities: LiveWatch vs ADT
LiveWatch and ADT home security systems offer many of the same features, but with different levels of service and price points. Both are effective and efficient when it comes to protecting your home from intruders.
- Both ADT and LiveWatch offer indoor/outdoor camera and video options
- Both use state of the art sensors to signal a breach of the system or various types of environmental damage including smoke, fire, water, and CO
- Both offer 24/7 offsite monitoring
- Both offer home automation and remote access via a mobile app
Differences: LiveWatch vs ADT
Both ADT and LiveWatch offer state of the art technology with all of their home security devices, there are many differences that set them apart, both financially and functionally. The choice must be made between having an effective security system that you control or one that is professionally managed.
- ADT is more expensive, but offers a higher level of sophistication when it comes to monitoring, devices and home automation
- ADT requires professional installation
- LiveWatch is completely DIY with the unit coming pre-programmed from the factory
- LiveWatch offers a remote control in addition to the mobile app
- LiveWatch systems are completely portable
LiveWatch offers Live Voice assist as part of its month to month, 24/7 package, while ADT offers on-call customer service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Both offer indoor/outdoor cameras and video.
ADT offers cellular and landline connections in addition to Wi-fi connectivity. While LiveWatch is completely wireless, ADT offers you the option of hardwiring your system to make it more secure.
ADT requires a three-year contract when signing up for their 24/7 offsite monitoring. There are no contracts with LiveWatch, but they offer three different month to month packages that are designed to provide the level of security you desire.
The LiveWatch home security system sells for $99. There are three different monitoring packages to choose from, $34.99, $39.99 and $49.99. The two higher price points offer video surveillance, while the least expensive only offers stills. There is a fee of $120.00 upfront when signing up for the monitoring plans.
ADT offers full-service plans starting at $37 a month and can go as high as $53 per month. They also offer to monitor other brands of previously installed home security systems for approximately $19.99 a month. The cost of the basic ADT equipment is free when you sign the three-year contract.
Here is what both basic packages look like:
|+ $125 Upfront Costs*||+ $120 Upfront Costs*|
|View Package||View Package|
|24/7 Professional Monitoring||24/7 Monitoring|
|QSP Warranty||Remote Arm & Disarm|
|6 Mos. Money Back Guarantee||Crash&Smash Protection|
|Fire, Carbon Monoxide & Flood Monitoring||LiveVoice Assist|
|Wireless Keypad||Wireless Keypad|
|4 Door/Window Sensors||4 door/window sensors|
|Remote Secure Video||Flood sensor|
|Home Automation||Garage door sensor|
|Remote Web & Mobile Access||Glass break sensor|
|Email & Text Notification||Panic pendant|
ADT equipment is hardwired into your home and offers cellular, landline and Wi-fi connections, while the LiveWatch system is wireless and fully portable. Both ADT and LiveWatch system have additional pieces of equipment that can be purchased aside from the basic systems.
ADT requires professional installation and does not offer a do it yourself option. Because the system is already programmed when it arrives, the LiveWatch system is easily installed. No professional help is needed and the system can be in place in less than 30 minutes.
Both ADT and LiveWatch offer emergency connections for things that trigger the alarm system. ADT offers better reliability simply because the system is hardwired to the home and doesn't rely on Wi-fi or cell service.
Summary: ADT vs LiveWatch
In order to choose which system is right for you, you have to determine what you are trying to accomplish. ADT is one of the most sophisticated home security systems available. It's also one of the most expensive. LiveWatch, on the other hand, is perfect for those who would rather install and manage their system on their own. LiveWatch is also more affordable, while still offering a modest 24/7 offsite security monitoring service.