A home security system is a great way to protect your home and your family from burglary, fire and other dangers. However, it can be very hard to choose a home security system. There are thousands of options on the market today. Two popular systems are Link Interactive and Vivint. Here, we will compare the two systems to make it easier to choose.
Overview: Vivint vs Link Interactive
Link Interactive and Vivint have many similarities — they both offer home security, automation and safety equipment and monitoring. Both provide reliable, professional monitoring available 24/7.
- Vivint and Link Interactive offer a range of security equipment and home automation. You can expect professional cellular monitoring 24/7 no matter which company you choose. They both feature smartphone control via apps.
- Vivint offers professional installation via its certified experts. Link interactive offers DIY installation only.
- Link Interactive and Vivint offer a range of security, safety and home automation equipment. Security and safety equipment includes motion sensors, keypads, door and window sensors, video cameras and smoke detectors. Both companies offer thermostats and smart light bulbs.
- Link Interactive's cost of equipment varies. They allow you to pick and choose the components that you want for your system. Vivint's equipment runs $549. You can finance the equipment rather than paying for it up front but you must agree to a service plan contract in order to do so.
- Both Vivint and Link Interactive offer telephone customer support. There is also a range of online sources for both alarm companies. on both company's websites.
Similarities: Link Interactive vs Vivint
Here are five items that these two companies have in common.
- Large selection of home security equipment
- Home automation available
- Backup protection against power-outages
- iPhone and Android apps
- Professional cellular monitoring 24/7
Link Interactive and Vivint have many similarities. Both alarm systems provide solid protection against break-ins. Fire, smoke and environmental monitoring are available with either service.
Still have more questions? Here is a more in-depth list we put together to help you see what they have in common.
- What type of home security protection does Link Interactive and Vivint provide? Both companies provide door and window sensors, motion detectors, video cameras, glass shatter sensors and video doorbells.
- Does either company monitor for fire, smoke, water or carbon monoxide gas? Yes, both companies offer extensive monitoring for environmental threats. Vivint has a flood and freeze sensor, which protects against water damage by monitoring for floods or freezing pipes. Link Interactive has a sensor that sounds an alarm when your basement floods. It also will alert you in the case of frozen or broken pipes or air conditioner and furnace failures.
- What kind of Smart Home Control does Link Interactive and Vivint offer? Vivint supports the following smart home devices: Amazon Echo, Nest Thermostat, Element Thermostat and Philips Hue. Link Interactive offers Z-Wave home automation. They carry smart locks, lights, garage door openers, doorbell cameras and thermostats.
- Which is more reliable in the case of a power or internet outage? Vivint offers cellular connected and encrypted Wi-Fi. It creates a secure network with a dedicated signal. Link Interactive offers secure, dedicated cellular communication.
- Are contracts required? Link Interactive requires either a 12, 24 and 36-month contract. Vivint recently introduced a month-to-month option. However, to take advantage of this option, you must pay for your equipment up front. Otherwise, you'll have to agree to a 36 or 60-month contract.
Differences: Vivint vs Link Interactive
There are some differences between Link Interactive and Vivint. The latter offers professional installation only. There is no option for DIY installation with Vivint. Link Interactive offers self-installation only. Vivint charges more for its equipment than Link Interactive. Equipment with Vivint is $549. Link Interactive's equipment varies depending on the components that you choose. Link Interactive offers 12 – 36 month contracts while Vivint's contracts range from 42-60 months. Vivint also offers a month-to-month option. Link interactive has an A+ rating with the BBB. Vivint, who has had many customer service complaints throughout the years, is rated a C with the BBB. Link Interactive offers a three-year warranty on their equipment while Vivint guarantees their equipment for life.
Vivint and Link Interactive offer different customer service, contracts and warranties.
Any equipment has the potential to break, which is why a warranty is so important. Both Vivint and Link Interactive offer warranties.
Link Interactive offers a three-year warranty on all of their equipment. Vivint offers a lifetime warranty on all of its equipment. If you pay an additional $10 per month, there won't be any service fees or taxes when a technician visits your home to make the repairs.
Prices for Monitoring
Vivint's monthly prices for monitoring are a bit more expensive than the plans from Link Interactive.
- Cheapest Plans – Vivint's cheapest plan is called the Smart Security Service plan. It is $29.99 per month. With this plan, you get phone alerts and professional monitoring. Link Interactive's cheapest plan is the Standard plan, which is $30.99 per month. It includes 100 percent cellular two-way voice monitoring.
- Top Plans – The top-of-the-line plan from Vivint is the Smart Home Service plan. This plan adds smart home automation to Vivint's basic plan. The Smart Home Plan allows you to control devices like the Amazon Alexa. This plan is $39.99 per month. Link Interactive's most expensive plan is the Elite. This plan includes everything that the Standard plan. It adds home automation, video and life monitoring. The Elite plan is $40.99 a month.
Trial Periods and Contracts
Contracts and trial periods are important in home security. Here is a comparison between Vivint and Link Interactive's trial periods and contract terms.
Link Interactive requires a monthly monitoring contract. They offer a 12, 24 or 36-month contract length. Vivint offers a month-to-month option but you will have to purchase the equipment upfront, which costs $599+. Otherwise, you can choose a 42 or 60-month contract term with Vivint.
Link Interactive offers a money-back guarantee. If you return your equipment within 30-days, you can get your money back. They also offer free return shipping if you do decide to return the equipment. Vivint allows you to cancel within three days of receipt of your equipment without a penalty.
Service Transfer and Equipment
Can other companies monitor the equipment from Vivint and Link Interactive? That depends on the type of equipment that you have.
- Equipment – Link Interactive uses GE's alarm equipment. Vivint has its own home automation and security equipment.
- Service Transfer – Because Link Interactive uses the popular GE alarm equipment, it can be transferred to another company in the future. Vivint's equipment can be monitored by any company that supports 2GIG equipment.
Link Interactive has highly rated customer service whereas Vivint has been plagued by customer service issues over the years.
Link Interactive is one of the top companies in terms of customer service. Customers praise their pricing transparency, helpful and quick phone support and no-pressure sales techniques.
Vivint has had problems with the quality of its customer service in the past. It has a C ranking with the BBB. Customers complain about pushy sales consultants, rude installers and strict cancellation policies. Vivint has tried to address its customer service issues by offering more flexible contract terms.
Summary Comparison: Vivint vs Link Interactive
Both Link Interactive and Vivint offer a range of home security, automation and safety equipment. They both offer reliable monitoring service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Both companies use equipment that is supported by a range of alarm companies. Vivint offers very high-quality equipment that is backed by a lifetime warranty. If you are looking for a company that offers high-quality equipment backed by a lifetime warranty, then Vivint is a good choice. If you value exceptional customer service and a range of contract options, then consider Link Interactive.