LifeLock and IDShield are two very well-known security companies that specialize in identity theft and fraud prevention. Both work by closely monitoring your credit reports and other activity related to your financial accounts and social security number. Once identity theft has been uncovered, both companies can work with you to restore your personal information and catch the culprits behind the fraud/theft.
Overview: LifeLock vs IDShield
Both LifeLock and IDShield have stellar reputations in terms of protecting your confidential and private information. There are subtle differences, however, that may cause you to choose one over the other. Each company offers thorough coverage in terms of identity theft and has several packages that are designed to fit each person's individual needs.
- Both companies offer a wide range of alerts in reference to credit applications, credit cards, and bank accounts
- LifeLock offers a 30-day free trial
- Both companies monitor the “dark web” for your information
- Both companies off some degree of protection for every member of the family (adults and children)
- IDShield offers a “Family Plan”
Similarities: IDShield vs LifeLock
LifeLock and IDShield both offer several plans that closely monitor your credit rating and watch for increased risk in terms of identity theft and fraud. Both companies can stop any fraudulent activity and help you restore your accounts. Both companies are also known for their customer service and popular reviews.
- Both companies can retrieve information from the three main credit bureaus with advanced plans
- Both companies have mobile apps for both iPhones and Android phones
- Both offer credit card and bank account monitoring
- Both offer change of address verification
- Both monitor the dark web for your information
Differences: IDShield vs LifeLock
While both offer effective protection against identity theft and fraud, their packages and actual coverage vary from one company to the other. Credit monitoring and the extent of family coverage are just two of the ways the companies differ.
- IDShield offers alerts for new accounts with both of its packages
- LifeLock only provides alerts for new accounts with its Ultimate Plus package
- IDShield's Family Plan covers 2 adults and 8 children
- Instead of offering a family plan, LifeLock offers LifeLock Junior packages that can be purchased for each child for $5.99 a month
- LifeLock offers annual credit reports from all three credit bureaus with their advanced packages
LifeLock monitors where your social security number appears on the internet, as well as the dark web. It also watches for data breaches and can help you track your wallet if it is lost or stolen. It also offers new account alerts with its most advanced package. LifeLock also offers Privacy Monitoring and Identity Alerts.
IDShield offers medical ID monitoring and alerts when new accounts are opened in your name. It also offers court record monitoring and crime alerts. IDShield provides data breach notifications, social security number monitoring, and file sharing monitoring within various networks.
Financial & Credit Monitoring
LifeLock monitors bank accounts, credit cards, and the creation of new accounts with their most advanced packages. They also watch the dark web to find any instances of your private information being shared from website to website. They also watch for data breaches and abnormal transactions that do not follow your regular patterns.
IDShield monitors bank accounts, credit cards, and new accounts with both of their packages. They monitor the dark web and also provide you with credit reports from one or all three of the bureaus, depending on your particular plan. IDShield also offers medical ID monitoring as well.
Identity Restoration & Insurance Coverage
LifeLock provides from $25,000 to $1 million of coverage depending on which plan you choose. When it comes to recovering your identity, trained professionals are used to track your information and take the necessary steps to get your credit and financial stability back on track.
IDShield offers members a comprehensive restoration service by Kroll. They work to undo any damage that has been caused to your credit as well as your financial accounts. As an IDShield member, you are protected from any financial liability that was incurred by fraudulent means or identity theft.
Pricing & Plans
LifeLock offers three plans to choose from. LifeLock Standard costs $9.99 a month. LifeLock Advantage costs $19.99 a month. LifeLock Ultimate Plus is the most comprehensive and costs $29.99 a month. If you want to protect a child with LifeLock Junior, it is an additional $5.99 per month, per child.
IDShield offers an Individual Plan for $9.95 a month and a Family Plan for $19.95 a month. The Family Plan covers 2 adults and 8 minors.
Summary: LifeLock vs IDShield
LifeLock is the right company for you if you want the security of the most well-known security company in the business. LifeLock offers limits on their coverage in certain ways but overall its an excellent choice for the cost.
IDShield is a good choice for a family. It's also the best option if you want to receive your credit reports on a regular basis. It has two packages that provide a good amount of coverage for the cost.